The busy streets of London were filled with noise. Carriage wheels crunched against the road, and the clatter of footsteps filled the city. Chatter flew through the air into every ear. There I stood, navigating my way like a labyrinth. My mother trailed behind me, her hat with a feather fell lopsided in the wind. "Ellen" she croaked, straightening her back and raising her nose in the air. "Where are we?"

I observe the nearest row of tiny shops. We must be downtown. I was never good at directions, but my mother was even worse. My mother never went far. Mostly she stayed close to home. She had to care for the home.

"I believe if we walk down this way," I say, pointing north. "We can make it to the Elizbeth theater in only a few minutes, if we walk fast."

My mother nodded. "Lead the way!" she announced.

I weave through the streets, My mother close behind. I passed a stall that sold fresh bread. The plump baker waved at me, holding a clump of dough. I smile back. I recognized him from somewhere, yet I couldn't place my finger on it

Many others walked in our direction, almost as if they were making their way toward the theater. A group of men walked behind us, their tight breeches and cutoffs.

"Did you hear that a woman is an actress in the "Midnight summers dream in the next hour?" I overheard them talking. "Unacceptable!"

I grit my teeth and keep walking.

Those men reminded me of my father. Their opinions were the same. My father could not come to the theater with us. He was always busy with work, for he worked at the bank. Father would always have to put extra hours in.

Finally, we saw the great theater loom up ahead. Already people lined up through the doorway, streaming in. We hurried to get our place in the the line.

The Elizabeth Theater was massive and grand. I could tell on the sheer architecture. At the entrance stood two great columns. The rest of the building then shaped into a crescent. we stood on red velvet carpet that led to the great oak doorways, where two men waited to greet.

Standing among all these people made me feel rich. A Lot of the crowd wore exotic outfits. The women wore layers of petticoats that were embroidered with silk. Their waist was cinched tight, obviously from wearing corsets. I don't wear my corsets too tight, although my mother always tightens mine, and then after she leaves, I loosen them before I get nauseous.

We filed slowly inside. When I entered the theater, my jaw fell. It was everything I imagined! The hallway opened to the theater. It was huge! Chairs lined in rows in the front of the theater. They were lined with velvet. Viewing platforms built into the walls, painted in esquive designs. Oh- and the stage! It was the size of our house if every room was laid out side by side! The flooring was covered in polished wood! The great red velvet drapes hung over the stage.

My heart started pumping fast in excitement. I have wanted to go here my whole life! Now finally my mother bought tickets and here we are! About to watch the famous play, "Midsummer night dream" by William Shakespeare.

I went to a play before. After watching it, I became obsessed with acting! I then aspired to become an actress! I thought of my parents, and I remembered telling them my dream of becoming an actress. They told me that it was "Unacceptable" and how "It would dishonor our family name."

I tried to ignore the memory. I had more important stuff to think of.

We crossed to the third row seats. We were right up close! The seats we raised and slanted so we would be able to see through the second and first rows. My mother must have paid heavily for this. All of a sudden, the lights dimmed. The chatter of the crowd immediately diminished. I grip the arms of my seat tightly. This would be breathtaking.

The curtains were pulled gratefully aside, so swiftly I guessed they practiced many times before. A single beam of light pointed in the middle. A single person walked into the light; he bowed. Suddenly, the two ladies with wings entered.

"What has happened?" one of them said.

I smile. The first line of the play has begun.

The light, the stage, the actors, I felt like I was in the midsummer night dream. I laughed along with the play, smiled at the actors. When it was dramatic, we stared intently at the stage. It was all amazing. So beautiful.

There was a woman beside me with a great huge dress. It took up most of her seat and started to take over mine. I asked her to please kindly tuck in her dress, as it in other people's spaces. The woman in the seat looked at me in disgust, and she did not tuck in her dress. I quickly ignored it, for the next scene began.

Even as annoying as the woman's dress was, I was blown away by the play, as it was nothing I had seen before. My passion for theater grew the more I watched. Even my mother seemed like she enjoyed it.

The last number ended and the lights turned on. The crowd roared in applause and I was clapping the most. Everyone could appreciate Shakespeare's work.

After we left our seats, my heart fluttered like the fairies in the play. I really liked when a woman played as one of the fairies. Back in 1590's, women were finally able to become actresses. Yet it wasn't widely accepted, and my parents certainly wouldn't allow it.

Me and my mother filed out into the crowd that led out the door.

"Coming through!" a cry rang out. The crowd moved to the side to let a young man, about my age, come running through. He carried a box of supply close to his chest.

All of a sudden, and it happened so quickly, the man ran past me, but tripped on my dress! He fell forward and crumbled to the ground. The box's content spilled everywhere. I tripped on his body and fell on him, like a dog pile.

I tried to sit back up, only his foot was on my dress, making me fall backwards.

The man groaned and shifted to his sitting position. While he did that, the piece of dress underneath his shoe ripped.

"Wait!" I warned him, holding my dress together so nobody would see. The boy looked at me, like he just realized I was there.

"Oh my! Sorry about that"" he said, trying to sit up. "Let me help you," he reached his hand forward to help me, yet his foot shifted and ripped the whole side of the dress.

"Stop!" I yell, holding the now ripped dress together.

The man then looked down and saw the problem. His cheeks flushed red.

"Oh-uh sorry ma'am" he mumbled nervously and lifted his foot off my dress.

I quickly stood up, leaving the man on the ground. I held My dress tightly together.

I was vaguely aware of my mother, who blushed in embarrassment. Giggles could be heard.

He scrambled to get all the items that the box dropped, while I stood up in embarrassment. Now, thanks to him, I would have to walk home, holding my dress together. I huffed in frustration. I was mortified.

"I can help you," he consoled. "There are extra dresses backstage. I can borrow one for you." he looked at me, desperately wanting to help.

I look at him in surprise. "Really? Are you an actor?"

"Yeah," he promised. "I'm sure There is many to choose from"

I looked back at my mom, who stood silent ahead. She waved her hand in approval. She looked more embarrassed than I was. I nodded back then turned to the mysterious man.

"Ok" I replied, straightening my back like my mother did "I'll go."

"Great," he announced "Follow me!" I glanced back nervously, but my mother was already walking away. I did the only other option I had.

I followed him backstage.

....................................