Chapter 14.

Map of Spain

Kai's perspective
Gryffindor was throwing a celebratory party in the common room probably full of drinking games and dizzy laughter. I hadn't made it back to the common room yet, people were coming up and congratulating me or giving me a pat on the back, a definite overwhelming sense of celebration supported by the chants and drunken cheers echoing through the halls.
I had finally made my way past the fat lady who was ranting on about some opera she had heard of. The painting swung open revealing people of every house color mingling, laughing, yelling and of course playing the drinking games. A small banner greeted me a messily painted 'we won' was written in red across a large piece of parchment resembling to much of someone's blood made me chuckle at the Gryffindor's thoughtless nature towards things. Everyone seemed happy and joyful as presumed, loud muggle music thrumming in my eardrums feeling the bass tremble the ground, drunken laughter and flirtatious behaviors were seen from all around, I smiled dizzy on all the excitement, until it hit me;
The thick intoxicating stench of alcohol, a smell I would much rather forget. The memories came flooding back, my dad coming home late, that smell he left behind wherever he went, his red raw knuckles constantly finding their way to my face, the wounds leaving a permanent scar not only on my body but in my brain. I couldn't breathe, the room had started spinning and my head was now throbbing, tears were stinging at my eyes, the thick cloud had now invaded my lungs filling all my senses causing blurry vision and sharp static breathes.
"hey Kai!!" a small excited girl came running up to me squirming her way through the crowds of drunken joyous teenagers.
"Kai?" she softly whispered grabbing onto my hands and squeezing them gently.
I couldn't see well, tears were falling now, I felt sick, the room was spinning faster and still that smell filled my senses making my body shut down and my mind being sent on a continuous dizzying loop of thoughts.
The girl I had yet to recognize grabbed my waist and put my arm over her small shoulder leading me back out of the common room. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't do anything, I was hopeless, I am worthless. She dropped to the floor and my back scraped along the stone wall as I dragged myself down with her my senses slowly coming back as the bitter smell was left behind with the noisy crowded room,
"breathe" it was Marie, her small hands rubbing circles onto my chest. I Hated feeling useless like this, I couldn't do anything it was as if my brain had taken over every system in my body, but I followed instructions syncing the rise and fall of her own breath.
"you are safe here" she whispered pressing her forehead against mine. Marie of all people knew what this felt like, she had endured this her whole Hogwarts experience, but she was so much stronger than I am.
She had started softly humming, that song from the med bay when I had broken my leg, she reached up to my face and wiped the tears with the sleeve of her sweater. How could anyone be so kind and gentle, she was the warmth that severely lacked in my family, she was the girl who made me believe in love again.

Marielle's perspective
I pulled him into a tight hug resting his head onto my chest still listening to his now steady breath. This seemed to last forever, and I never wanted it to end.
"Do you want to talk" I asked softly squeezing his hand. He had seemed to calm down, I didn't want him to feel this way, seeing him like that made my chest ache and pain.
"just the smell" he gave a weak sheepish smile the dim lighting of the hallway making him look pale and sickly, I knew what he meant his dad was an abusive alcoholic. He would always stay at Hogwarts as long as he could, not wanting to return home, I wish I could do something, I wish I could make him a happy family that loved and cherished him as much as he deserved it. The ache for him, the pain in my chest that never ceased for him, he goes through the worst and still smiles.
"you should stay with me for the holidays" I suggested abruptly, this was the only option in my head for him not to get hurt anymore, the end of the school year was fast approaching and I couldn't bear to see him come back with bruises.
"uh what" he stared at me confused a small grin appearing at the edge of his mouth the flicker of light reappearing in his eyes.
"just I don't like the thought of you being stuck with your dad, and I'll miss you too much if I can't see you, I mean you don't have t-to, it's no p-pressure.... I think you'll like it staying with my family..." I rambled keeping my eye contact on the floor which was far more interesting
"I would love to" he softly whispered pushing his face into the nape of my neck sending tingles to every part of my body.
We stayed there for hours, I overly excitedly explained to him that every second year we spend the entire holiday in Spain, and this was the year we did. He cooed along with all the stories I told of the markets, festivals and traditions I couldn't wait for him to see it all, and maybe we could make new memories.
"and my treehouse I made when I was seven- " I yawned mid-sentence, the overwhelming tiredness of the busy day had finally caught up to me, leaving me feeling groggy and exhausted.
"I think its time for you to sleep fairy" he chuckled softly scooping me up into his chest and timidly strolling towards the Hufflepuff dorms his breath softly tickling my ears.