Chapter 28

Beca threw her backpack into the backseat of her car, moving around to retrieve her guitar from the trunk. Clicking the lock button on her key remote until the car beeped, she made her way back across the school parking lot to the picnic table on the quad where her friends were waiting. It had been two weeks since she and Chloe had told her parents that they were dating, and while her dad was still struggling with the knowledge, Beca had to admit that he'd taken it much better than she thought. It helped that despite teaching Biology, Chloe was an English nerd throughout high school and college. Beca and Sheila had been bored to tears during the last meal when Chloe and Ben had gotten into a spirited conversation about some German author named Szondi, whom Beca had never heard of. Still, she'd sat there grinning like an idiot at the way her dad and girlfriend were getting along, only for Ben to return to the familiar awkward behavior he usually displayed around Chloe when dinner was over.

Beca glanced up, seeing Fat Amy talking animatedly with her hands to the rest of the group. The blonde was sitting on the bench with her back against the table, Benji and Emily were side by side against a nearby tree trunk, Nick was sprawled on his back on the ground seemingly not paying attention to anything Amy was saying, and Stacie was currently whispering something in CR's ear while the other girl rolled her eyes and shook her head. Beca reached the picnic table in time to hear Fat Amy say, "I already reserved the limo, so you flat butts just need to pay up in the next few weeks."

Beca took a quick moment to think over how dangerous it was that Fat Amy was making all the plans for prom night, but shrugged it off and climbed up to sit on top of the table, her feet resting on the bench next to her friend.

Of course they were talking about prom. It was all any of the juniors and seniors could talk about these days; everyone excited to get dressed up and have a night out on Barden's dime. Beca had spoken with Chloe again about going with Nick, worried that it wasn't a good idea after her initial reaction. However, Chloe had assured her that it was fine, and that she wanted Beca to have a good time and enjoy herself with her friends. So she'd agreed, and made Sheila's dreams come true by asking her to join in when she and Stacie went dress shopping.

Beca wasn't sure who was more excited about getting her into a dress, and was beyond over the whole experience after the first shop. Ultimately, Sheila bribed her with diamond earrings and she ended up falling in love with a simple, one-shoulder navy dress. Stacie found a red, strapless gown that she claimed made the girls look amazing, which of course Sheila and Beca were quick to agree with. They'd made a whole day of it, and Beca was exhausted by the time she arrived home after dropping the dress off at the tailor's to be hemmed.

Fat Amy said, "Hey, Shawshank. We were just going over the plans. Are you seriously going to wear a dress?"

Beca rolled her eyes, replying, "Of course. I don't mind them, I just never have a good enough reason to put one on."

CR grinned, saying, "I'll believe it when I see it, Becs."

"You guys won't recognize her. She looked fucking hot in that dress," Stacie said casually, now meticulously filing her nails.

Beca decided it was time to change the subject, asking, "Does everyone have a date?"

Benji nodded and glanced adoringly at Emily, but Stacie cut him off before he could speak. "Yeah, we get it, you guys are adorable and in love and going to prom."

The boy laughed, not letting it bother him as he replied, "Stacie, I'm sure you'll find a date soon."

Beca raised her eyebrows at her best friend, asking, "You don't have a date?"

"I got asked by four different guys and I haven't decided yet," Stacie said, clearly unconcerned about not having made a decision yet. "I'll probably go with Mike, though. He'll look damn good in a tux."