Chapter 4: No Matter What

Ali watched as his brother walked off into the desert, never to be seen again. That's what everyone thought. But not him. He'll be back. And he'll have an army. And then, we can kill the demon. Ali asserted. As soon as Khan was out of sight, many citizens went back to their duties. Whether that be work or shopping, Ali didn't really care. No, he lingered. His father also lingered a little longer, looking at the sun-kissed desert. Before wandering off. Ali's father, Sutar Amir had become somewhat despondent ever since the death of Wassiq and Sharya. His mother had gone almost crazy. Ali recalled how in the morning, she still took out six plates for breakfast. He shuddered at that thought. And then, he realized something.

The burial is later today. It wouldn't be a public burial. Not since Raleisa had banned those sorts of things. No, it would be a burial that the remains of the Amir family would watch. Thinking about it made Ali tear up a bit. Wassiq. His elder brother was always so mischievous. Getting into trouble with all sorts of people. Yet, despite that, everyone loved him. After all, his sole purpose in life seemed to be making everyone smile. And Sharya. So young. Too young. Too innocent. Thinking about how she died made Ali furious. He clenched his fist tightly in front of the sun. Squeezing it. Unbeknownst to Ali, Raleisa was sat atop building behind him. Watching Ali. Watching the raw anger flow through Ali's veins. And at that, Raleisa smiled. A true, genuine smile.

Finally. Something fun.

...

Ali carefully held his brother's legs while his father held Wassiq's head. They both gently lowered Wassiq into the hole next to their house. Of course, his father was the one who had to wrap Wassiq in linen, so that Ali wouldn't have to see the damage done by the demon. Not like it mattered. Ali remembered every wound. Every cut. The entire scene could be replayed in his head. And it had played in his head for the past day. It was a horrid scene. A gross, disgusting scene. But, an angering scene. Just thinking about it made Ali furious. Not only at the demon. But at himself. Why? Why didn't I do anything? Khan fought. Khan tried to save us. Why didn't I? Why am I so useless?

The father and son finally dropped the corpse into the grave. It landed gently, as it was close to the ground. And just like that, Sutar Amir and Ali Amir had buried Wassiq Amir. Ali's mother, Isha Amir, wasn't present. And yet again, he didn't blame her. He could only hope that she would come back to reality soon. That she would accept that her three of her children were gone. I'm all alone. That thought dawned upon Ali relatively later than it should've. But, he also didn't believe that was true. He believed that Khan would survive. He had to. Khan would survive the desert. No matter what faced him.

If he didn't, then that would be it. Right? No. No, don't believe that. Even if Khan does survive, it's going to take him a while to come back. If he's going to try and raise an army or get stronger, then it will take him even longer to get back. So, as of now, I can't rely on Khan. No. Right now, it's just me. Me and... Abdullah. Ali realized. Abdullah. Of course. He's almost the same age as brother. And, he holds the same hate for Raleisa. The same hate that I hold.

He's the third person.

The other one that Raleisa said was different. The other one that dared to defy Raleisa in any way. Ali and his father lifted up Sharya's corpse and gently placed her in the grave. With Abdullah's help, I can win. We can win. We can kill the demon and-

"Ali," Sutar said. Ali looked up at him. His father's face was breaking. Breaking with grief. And sorrow. He held a shovel. But, it soon dropped to the sand and he followed. "Ali--I can't. I can't." He said, sobbing. And, he pulled Ali close. Ali hadn't expected his father to break down like that. No, his father was always strong. The strongest in the house. Always the happy one. The one that would take them to get sweets behind their mother's back. He wasn't-- he wasn't like this. Was he? But as Ali thought more about those memories, he also teared up. And he broke down as well. Sobbing into his father's arms. And suddenly, all thoughts of vengeance went away. Anger bled into sorrow.

Why? Why did this happen to us? Because of me? Yeah. Yeah, it's my fault. It's my fault for trying to resist. It's my fault for even suggesting to Khan the stupid plan. It's my fault those soldiers died. It's my fault that my sister and brother are dead. It's my fault that Khan is in exile. It's my fault tha-

"It's not your fault," Sutar said, pulling away from Ali for a second. And as Ali's head rose to meet his father's eyes, Sutar smiled. "It's not your fault. No matter what. No matter what anybody else says. No matter what anybody else does. Don't listen to them. Ali, don't listen to them. Fight. Keep fighting. Even if you fail. It doesn't matter. You just need to keep fighting. It's not your fault son. It's not your fault." He said, pulling him close once again. Ali's sobbing only grew stronger from that. Why? WHY? HATE ME! I killed Wassiq. I killed Sharya. I ruined everything.

"You should HATE ME! You should disown me. Kill me. Make me pay." Ali cried. But his father had none of it.

"I will never hate you. I will never disown you. No matter what you do. No matter what you say. You are still, and always will be, my son. Remember that. Ali, remember that for the rest of your life. No matter what you do, I will still love you." Sutar said, quieting Ali's shrill cries. And the two of them sat there under the sun. While Khan fought off wolves in order to survive, father and son cried as the sun fell. And the night cast it's shadow over Nactin.

...

"I really am a coward." Sutar Amir said. He was standing atop a larger building in Nactin. Large enough that a fall would kill him. And he stood at the edge of that building, smiling at the moon. Thinking about his life. He had put Ali to bed an hour ago. And he had left a note for his wife. Hoping that whatever happened, she wouldn't choose the fate that he was about to pursue.

"You certainly are." A voice spoke. Surprised, Sutar turned and watched as the demon of the sand landed atop of the building that he was one. He wore an expression that mixed disgust and indifference all at once. Surprisingly, Sutar didn't get angry. He simply smiled.

"You're the last person I want to agree with, you know?" Sutar remarked as he looked back at the moonlit night. Raleisa simply walked towards him and sat next to him. The demon dangled his feet over the edge and trained his eyes on the moon as well.

"You're an unpredictable one," Raleisa said.

"Meaning?"

"I thought after all that talk of love with your son, you would stick around to back those words," Raleisa said, turning his gaze to Sutar. And Sutar simply shook his head.

"I just wanted him to know that much before I go. But, I can't stay. Not when two of my children are gone. Not when I've lost so much." Sutar explained. The demon turned back to the moon and scowled.

"You're weak," he said.

"Yes. I am. But my son? He'll become strong. He'll do everything that I couldn't." Raleisa stood at that and began to stretch his arms nonchalantly.

"You know, people who go out like this, they go to hell." He said. Wearing a wicked smile. But, nonetheless, Sutar stood over the edge and turned to Raleisa. Wearing a smile of his own. A sad smile.

"Then, I'll see you there." He said. With that, Sutar Amir jumped.