Chapter 1- 3 years ago

3 years ago

I jump slightly as there's three soft knocks on the door

I walk over and open it, my heart begins to race as I see Kenzie standing at the door. "Cory.." She whispers, and I stare at her. Her green eyes flicker with a hint of sadness that I haven't seen for a long time since we started dating. "Yes?" I whisper back, my heart racing faster. "I have to tell you something." I nod slowly, not removing my gaze from her face. "I'm leaving." She says, her voice trembling slightly. First, came the numbness. Then, came the pain. "Wh- what?" I stutter. "I'm leaving, this place behind. Cory."

"What...why?" I step closer to her, and she steps back. "Some things are better a mystery." She says softly. "Kenzie, please....let me come with-" "No, Cory. I'm so sorry. But we have to break up." She says, looking down. I can tell, she's trying not to cry. She's hiding the pain. Why is she just moving away like this? To where? She wouldn't just leave me. We...we are in love. At least....I think we are.. I see a red shiny mustang pull up and see her dad hop out. "C'mon Kenz. We have everything packed up!!" He yells. "Get your ass moving!" He says and gets back into the car. She looks up at me, a single tear slipping down her soft tan cheeks. "Goodbye, Cory Dean." She says with a trembling voice. Then turns, and walks down my porch steps. I watch her get into her car, and speed off. Without even looking at me. Once. I don't know what I was thinking, but I suddenly ran into my house, grabbed my keys and hopped on my motorcycle.

I sped down the road, inching closer to her car. She must think I'm a stalker. But I can't lose her. I can't. Suddenly, the green light changes to red,

Her car keeps going,

I have to catch up.

I look over to see a pickup truck speeding towards me. It honks, and I try to stop.

There's a flash of white light. A mixture of horns blaring and metal scraping against the concrete. I open my eyes to see blood surrounding my head, and her car disappearing into the distance.

She's gone. I think as I close my eyes again, the ambulance sirens blaring in the distance.

A part of me is gone too.