[4] - It's just a date.

[4] 

It's just a date

Rory

"Are you pulling my leg right now? Please tell me you're joking?"

Oh, how I wish I was joking, I thought and then sighed, fiddling nervously with the corner of my shirt as Patricia and I made our way to the cafeteria. It's been on my mind since last night and now, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I couldn't even count the numerous amounts of times I've cursed Adam Saunders in my head.

"I'm not joking," I replied in response to her question, "He really did ask me out."

"And what did you say?" she asked excitedly.

I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose, already hating my reply. "I said yes but –" her cry of victory cut me off mid-sentence, and I had to yell over it, "– but I only said so to find out his ulterior motive!"

"What ulterior motive?" she asked back, giggling and then bouncing on the soles of her feet, "I knew it!" she hissed, "I knew there was something going on between you two! Seriously, I should become a professional matchmaker."

I snorted, "Stop getting so excited, there's nothing to be excited about. I'm incredibly suspicious about it all. Adam is straight. He's probably had sex with half of the entire female population."

"So? He could be bisexual," Patricia stated matter-of-factly, "Because I've always noticed chemistry between you two. Seriously, the way you guys talk. You flirt basically all the time, it's a bit disgusting."

I felt my cheeks heat as I sputtered, "We do not – that is not flirting!"

"Uh huh, sure, you keep telling yourself that," she said with a mischievous grin, "Don't think too much about this Rory! I say you should go for it. What do you have to lose?"

I shivered, definitely not wanting to know what was going on inside that huge head of hers. I headed to the counter and decided to get just a sandwich and some water, before turning around to find a table. Ever since I agreed to go to this ridiculous 'outing' with Adam, my heart had refused to stop pounding.

I wouldn't deny the fact that I was excited. Extremely so. It was almost pathetic, the extent of my excitement, and it made me ashamed. Since when was I so desperate for love that I would settle for a possibly bi-curious Adam? It made me inwardly face-palm myself and ask for the millionth time what the fuck I was doing. I should walk over to him and tell him straight up that if he was curious – which I highly doubted and felt more like this shit was a prank – then he should find some other guy to confirm his sexuality with because I wasn't going to be his toy.

But yet, like every normal human being, my heart wouldn't stop pounding so hard and my brain wouldn't stop feeding my thoughts with images of what it'll be like to actually date Adam and before I realized what was happening, I was letting myself day-dream about him being that faceless guy of my dreams, the one who would wake me up with eggs and toast in the morning and tell me I looked great in blue and massage my shoulders when I was tired working on my laptop –

"Fuck," I whispered as I sank into a table, burying my face in my palms, hating myself for thinking like a hopeless romantic – which I undoubtedly was.

"It won't be that bad," Patricia said, and I glanced up at her. I had momentarily forgotten she was even there.

That made me curse even more, making Patricia giggle.