The Ripped Page

As the sunlight peered in through the heightened windows of Draco's bedroom, and crows wept from the elm trees buried outside in the garden, he sat up straight in his bed awaiting his father's call.

He was wearing the black shirt and trousers he'd become so accustomed to wearing back at Hogwarts. Despite several washes, the still smelt of smoke which came from the Slytherin Dormitory. Earlier, Dobby had come up to summon him downstairs for breakfast but he wasn't hungry. Instead, Draco slumped on the edge of his bed staring at the window in wait for the beckoning of his father.

Eventually, it came, and after shaking off the morning tiredness, Draco went downstairs. Lucius stood by the unlit fireplace holding a box and his cane, but his face wasn't the usual uptight expression. "I would like to apologize for my actions over the summer, you do know I want what's best for you," Lucius mumbled. Although he didn't seem as angry as before, he still couldn't bring himself to look at his son.

Draco looked up and hid a look of shock. "I know Father, it was. I should have never let the muggleborn girl beat me," Muggleborn girl. Draco snickered in disappointment at himself. He'd heard Hermione Granger mention several times that she only just learned about the wizarding world that year. However sour Draco may've been about her overtaking him academically, he couldn't deny how irritatingly impressive it was.

Lucius grinned at the look on Draco's face, and moved towards the table, his cane slamming behind him. "Yes. Well, just make sure it doesn't happen again otherwise she won't know what's coming for her." What did that mean? The more his father mentioned her, the more Draco wished he hadn't found out about her blood status.

"Seeing as we never discussed the last school year, would you like to enlighten me on what exactly happened between you and... Potter," He continued whilst taking a seat at the head of the polished table.

Draco was extremely confused at his father's curiosity in Harry Potter, but nodded and quickly took a seat at the table. If this was a moment to get close to his father and make up for his 'shameful actions' then surely he would take it.

Draco told Lucius all about how he had met Harry and how the boy who lived turned down his friendship. He spoke of Ron's annoying face but left out the fight they had gotten in during the one quidditch match that felt as though it was ages ago. Yet finally he got to Hermione Granger. She was the reason he was thrown into that haunting room of haunting voices. Draco began to tell Lucius of her intelligence and even how at one point he envied it. Which in turn made Lucius even more unsettled about his son's relation to muggle-borns than before.

"Hm, very interesting...and you say Potter was put on the quidditch team in his first year?" Lucius questioned. Draco nodded compliantly in response. He had barely thought about quidditch, but he remembered how Adrian asked him to try out. As much as Draco would love to, but his Clean Sweep could never keep up with Potter's Nimbus 2000.

Draco looked up from his twiddling thumbs to see Lucius eyeing him. "When we are in Diagon Alley today, I will see about buying you a new model of broomstick," He said once he got out of the chair and grabbed the box. "Let's go,"

"Let me say goodbye to Mother," Draco asked, sounding slightly more desperate than he had intended. Half expecting Lucius to get angered at the thought, he instead agreed and pointed in the direction of the garden.

Draco ran out and found his mother sitting on her usual bench reading a book whilst rubbing a stone in her hand. "Mother, Father let me come to say goodbye," Draco said smiling at her. Narcissa patted her hand next to where she was as if to tell Draco to sit. Once he did, she hugged him tightly and Draco contemplated for a second about actually going with Lucius. The hug reminded him of the one he'd seen so many students share with their parents at the end of last year. Instead of a warm embrace, Draco received a disappointed glare from his father and was left to watch people like Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley receive pecks on the cheeks and other things he knew his parents (mainly his father) would never even think of doing.