Enemies Of The Heir Beware

October came quickly. The fall breeze swept through the castle creating the most festive pre-winter vibes. Quidditch practices had become more frequent, and studying for classes seemed to get a bit harder. Draco had no issue, though.

He hardly slept anymore, but it was all going to be worth it. The match between Gryffindor and Slytherin was sneaking upon him, and Draco wanted to make sure he would play his best. After all, his father was coming, and that meant everything had to be perfect for him.

Blaise and Pansy were getting on Draco for not having enough time to have fun, but it didn't bother him as much as they thought. The constant thought of school and Quidditch made him forget about two things, the portrait room and Hermionie.

After calling her a mudblood, part of him wanted to apologize, yet another didn't. If she hated him and didn't talk to him anymore, maybe he would never want to be her friend. It would be better if she disliked him for both of them.

One night in the common room, when Draco was busy filling in his Star Chart for Astronomy, Pansy approached him and took a seat in front of him. They were the only two still awake, and Draco just thought she would go on another lecture about Lockheart.

"Draco, you know when I came over this summer, and we heard our fathers talking about something called the chamber of secrets?" She kept her voice low even though no one was in the common room. Draco had forgotten about the chamber; his attention had mostly been on the Basilisk.

"Yea? What, did you find out something?" Draco whispered back, pushing away the star chart.

"Well, when I went back home, I raided our library to see if there was anything about it," She held her breath, "The Chamber of Secrets was made by Salazar Slytherin before he left Hogwarts, it's believed to be a myth; However I don't think it is anymore." Pansy looked at him to make sure he was paying attention.

"What does it mean, though?" Draco rolled his eyes, irritated that she had stopped talking.

"Well, there is a creature in there, a Basilisk...But that's all I found out." Pansy looked down. She looked tired, and Draco wondered why she was telling him all this. He never told her about the page and wasn't planning on it.

Draco felt ashamed that he still had that paper. He knew whatever was going on involved Harry, and that singular page could help, but why would he want to help Potter? The same boy who had made the last year hell, who embarrassed him and made him feel less. Draco's mind drifted off, completely forgetting Pansy was still sitting right in front of him.

"Well? Did you find anything out?" Pansy whispered once more. Draco shook his head.

She must not know yet.

"Alright, well if you do let me know, I'm headed off to bed," Pansy got up and gave a little wave before disappearing down the stairs into the dorms. Draco was left alone, with only the subtle noise of the black lake in the background.

Draco closed his eyes and thought back to the conversation he overhead Mr.Parkinson and his father has.

"Edward, I assure you everything is under control; the chamber of secrets will open once more. It has been 50 years since it last opened, so we shall hope the Dark Lord has planned ahead,"

So it had been opened before, 50 years ago. Draco opened his eyes. It was getting late, and he was still sat alone at his usual table, when all of a sudden, it hit him. There had to be records of what happened, mostly if it was big enough that the Dark Lord was involved, but where would they be kept?

There was only one place he could guess. The library.

It was half-past two, and everyone in the castle had to be asleep, and there were no chance teachers were still doing their rounds. The only thing he had to worry about was Peeves.