Chapter 15. How Is That Hangover?

Kat's POV

Lu was sitting in the kitchen with his head in his hands. The sight of him made my pulse quicken. Would we ignore what happened last night? Would he regret it?

I grabbed some Tylenol off the top of the fridge and grabbed some water. I took it over and sat it in front of him.

Lu looked up at me. 

"How is that hangover?" I asked and pursed my lips.

"I'll let you know when I get rid of this migraine," he muttered.

I chuckled under my breath. I turned around and started making coffee. I didn't turn around. I watched the coffee drip into the pot. 

When it was finished I poured two cups. I slid one across the counter to Lu. There was something about the way his eyes wouldn't catch mine the way the usually did. My stomach turned. I didn't look at him either as I stood across from him. 

I spun around and put the coffee cup in the sink. I suddenly felt his chest against my back. He stood behind me as he placed the cup into the sink. I gripped the counter tightly as my legs shook from the closeness.

"Should we talk about last night?" Lu murmured.

That depends on if you're going to ruin it—I thought to myself. I slowly turned around to face him. "Sure."

His jaw was clenched. "That shouldn't happen again and I'm sorry it did. I just don't think it's a good idea."

I pursed my lips and nodded. How did I know this was coming? "Same," was all I could manage because I didn't feel the same—not at all. 

He lowered his lips and pecked me on the cheek. "I'm sorry." He turned away the second the words left his lips. 

What was he sorry for? Leading me on? Maybe he just wanted to get laid. I noticed men tend to be a little more affectionate when they are drunk or they need attention. My mother was right—all men are dogs. After everything that has happened the past few weeks I have no desire to even ever look at a guy again. I'm not even angry at him. Who would want a broken girl like me?

I sighed and headed upstairs to get dressed. 

***

"Hey, Kat," Carey greeted me as I walked through the door. Today was the last day before winter break. 

"Hey, Carey," I said and smiled. 

"So, it's winter break," Carey beamed.

"Uh, yeah," I agreed. "Which days will you need me?"

"Actually, tomorrow we are going up north."

"Oh," I breathed. "Well, that should be fun."

"And you go with us!" Madeline yelled running toward me.

My eyes widened. "Uh, what?"

"Well, there is this really big cabin that has been in my family for a long time. We thought maybe you would like to come with and see a white Christmas instead," Carey said.

"Oh, really? Carey did you talk to Lu about this?" I squeaked. I didn't want to admit to Carey what happened.

"Oh, yes, of course. It was his idea."

"Oh," I breathed. It felt like someone just punched me in the stomach.

"My sister and her fiance will be there. Lu invited a couple of his friends as well," Carey explained. 

"Oh," I nodded. "Um, I'll just have to ask my grandma." Some part of me was hoping my grandma would say no to me. I didn't want to immediately reject the invitation and make Carey suspicious. I also didn't want to hurt the girls' feelings because they were all three staring at me in excitement.