20

❣︎

❣︎

"My husband is currently abroad so he isn't able to join me right now. Still, I'm pleased to not be alone right now."

Eunbi flashed her a polite smile, biting into the delicious slice of cake that the woman had baked. "Mrs. Park," Eunbi started. "If I may ask, what are you celebrating today?"

It was quite for a moment and Eunbi wondered if it was improper of her to ask. She slightly shifted in her seat, watching the shift of mood on the woman's face. Oh no, should I have not asked that? Maybe I should-

"It's not a celebration."

The woman's eyes were glossed over, tears threatening to spill as she looked down. Eunbi's eyes widened, seeing her eyes brim with tears and she instantly felt guilty. Maybe she shouldn't have brought up the topic. Maybe she shouldn't have come in the first place.

"Figure skating," the woman started. "My boy was a figure skater. It was because of me--because I wanted him to be one. My selfishness brought him to his demise."

Eunbi stood up and walked over to sit beside the elder, gingerly placing a hand on her back to comfort her. Frankly, she didn't know what to say at the moment, what words to tell the weeping lady.

"He practiced and practiced. I told him he was lacking, that he kept making mistakes. So he kept practicing...and he fell--Oh God, I saw how he fell on the ice that day. He was sent to the hospital and he's alive..."

Ice.

"-but he's in a coma. It's been two years and today is his death anniversary."

Coma.

"Mrs. Park...if you don't mind me asking, what's his name?"

"My son? Park Sunghoon."

❣︎