୨ nightmares (roy x reader) ୧

requested by @WolfieQueen77. "Ooh how about a Roy chapter of him dreaming of losing us??" it's kinda short but here ♥︎

VERY SLIGHT ANGST & COMFORT ! ˚
‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

☀️・◦・☀️・◦・☀️

Rain pounded the top of the car in an attempt to soak you even more. You sighed grumpily and ripped the wet jacket off yourself.

"So much for being waterproof, you stupid thing..." You hissed, tossing the perpetrator into the back seat, along with the umbrella that had started this all. Flipping the hair that clung to your forehead, you leaned back into the seat and sighed deeply, closing your eyes.

After a few moments of silence, you begrudgingly cracked your eyes open. Fatigue from the late-night shift left your body heavy and eyelids heavier. You shook your head and yawned loudly. With a quick glance at the time, your body jerked up, suddenly not so tired.

You had told him you'd be there not long after midnight.

It was 3:14.

You had told him you'd be there not long after midnight.

"Shit," you grumbled as you reached into the floorboard to retrieve your phone, which, thankfully, hadn't gotten wet in the journey to your car.

Opening it, you dialed his number and bit your lip, eyebrows drawn in thought. Should I call him this late? Another glance to the time told you it was now 3:16. You hummed.

"I mean, should I? If he's asleep..." With a sigh, you set your phone down in the cup holder, cutting it off in the process. Another yawn fought its way up and you shook your head defiantly to ward it off. "Augh... I probably just need to head back." The gear stick clicked as you moved it into drive, the car lurching forward and making you slam on the brakes in a panic. You gasped loudly, the seatbelt pulling against your chest.

Shaking your head in disbelief, you gathered yourself and pulled out of the parking lot.

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

You inserted the keys into the lock and unlocked the door, pushing it open. A grimace overtook your features as the hinges creaked loudly in an attempt to warn that someone was here.

"Shut up!" Your hiss echoed through the darkened apartment, the door squealing again as you shut it behind you. Shaking your head, you flipped on the switch. "Agh." You clicked it back off, blinking as your eyes slowly adjusted to the dark.

Leaning down, you pulled off your shoes.
They hit the ground with a quiet thump.

Pulling out your phone, you caught your charger and flipped your phone over. Plugging it up, you laid it on the counter.

Suppressing a yawn, you sauntered over to the bedroom door. Grabbing the handle, you slowly turned the doorknob, trying to quietly push open the door. Once open, you stepped inside.

The door clicked as you locked it. You released a breath you didn't know you'd been holding and gently set down your keys on the dresser. Your bookbag hit the ground with a quiet thunk.

You yawned and sleepily rubbed your eyes, groaning lightly as you did so. Quiet grumbles caught your attention. You blinked slowly, your gaze settling on the lumpy shaped figure laying on the bed.

The floorboards creaked threateningly underneath you as if trying to alert someone. You shushed them.

"Roy?" The bed dipped under your weight, creaking as it did so. You gently laid a hand on his shoulder, feeling the muscle tense and loosen underneath your palm. A tired sigh left you as you gently peeled the blankets back and crawled underneath them, laying next to him.

You fell asleep almost instantly.

A firm grip on your shoulder jostled you awake. You sat up, squinting at the light that burned your eyes, wiping at your mouth. A low murmur greeted you.

"I... Hnng... Yeah?" You rubbed your eyes, yawning as you did so.

"Babydoll?"

Another yawn as you rolled over to face him.

"Yeah? What's goin' on?" It came out slowly and thick with sleep. The bed shifted and you felt the warmth of him next to you. His hand cupped your cheek, thumb gently brushing over it.

Your eyes met and you frowned.

"Is everythin' okay?" You reached up and mimicked his movement. He relaxed into your touch, eyes fluttering shut. A deep sigh left his lips as they begrudgingly opened back up. He looked exhausted.

His hand moved to grab yours, intertwining his fingers with yours. He pulled your hand his lips and kissed your knuckles. His eyes never left you, a dark look shadowing his face.

"Ya wouldn't-" He stumbled over his words. "Ya wouldn' do anythin', right?"

A pause.

"What's 'anything'?" Your eyebrows furrowed.

"I..." He sighed. "Ya wouldn't do nuthin to hurt yaself, would ya?"

"No...?" His fingers slipped from yours, crawling up to mess with his hair as he rolled onto his back. "What made you ask?"

"Nuthin'. Just a dream." He studied the ceiling for a few moments. "But ya promise ya won't do nuthin' stupid, dollface?"

You smiled softly, crawling over and leaning your head on his chest. His arm wrapped around you, the other tucked underneath his head.

"I promise, baby."

"Good." He reached over and clicked off the lamp, darkness enveloping the space. "I love ya, baby an' I don't want nuthin to happen to ya."

He planted a soft kiss to your forehead, causing you to grin sleepily. You happily nuzzled into his chest.

"I love you, too."