Mum's Day

Letting people in was a hard thing to do for a regular civilian of National City. It became substantially more difficult when your last name was Luthor. Well, perhaps that wasn't true. Letting people in wasn't so much Lena's problem as it was people not wanting to come in, in the first place. No one trusted her.

That is, no one until Kara Danvers had come into her life. Trusting Kara was as easy as breathing. Kara Danvers didn't have a mistrustful bone in her body.. Even once knowing that Kara Danvers was Supergirl, trust came easy. It had merely humbled Lena to know that Kara had trusted her, Lena Luthor, enough to tell her the secret that she kept guarded so close.

Becoming a mother had changed Lena down to the marrow of her bone. She didn't have the choice of whether or not she was going to be brave or a coward: she had to be brave for her daughter, for her Lu. Now, talking about trusting someone.... Lena believed with her whole heart that Alura "Lulu" Danvers was literally an angel. There was no one, save Kara of course, that Lena knew she could trust more. Despite Alura's young age, she was family and that meant forever.

And of course, baby Calvin was the absolute cutest baby boy in existence. Not even Dustin Schott, Winn and Lyra's baby, could rival Cal in his mothers' eyes. Of course, they still firmly believed that Alura was an angel. But she was getting so big already; Alura would be celebrating her second birthday soon. The theme was Thomas the Train Engine, and Calvin was nearly as excited as his big sister.

Calvin, or Cal as they tended to call him, was a year old. Of course, Kara and Lena didn't know their actual birthdays, having found the babies in an unconventional way, but they'd quickly given them proof that birthdays that meant something. Birthdays were time spent with family; and family was everything. After all, it was like Kara always said: El marayah. She'd taught her children that at a young age, imprinting that they were 'stronger together' as she'd been taught.

It was times like this that Kara truly missed her mother. As Kara had only been thirteen when Krypton exploded, there'd been no time for her to talk about motherhood with her own mother. Of course, Eliza Danvers was everything to Kara, but she couldn't help wonder what advice Alura would have given her; whether or not she'd be as happy to have a namesake as Eliza was.... So many questions would remain unanswered, and Kara hated it.

These melancholy feelings were weighing heavily on Kara's mind as she stared towards the beach, on the back porch of their house. She turned as she noticed three sets of heartbeats coming her way, forcing a smile for the sake of her children.

"Good morning my loves," Kara murmured, reaching out to pick Alura up— she was grateful for her super strength in times like these, because oof, her baby was too small to be getting so heavy. "How did you sleep?" Kara pressed a quick kiss to Lena's lips, then Alura's head.

"Good, mama. I didn't have no more nightmares after you and mommy came and tucked me in again." Alura promised haphazardly, reaching out to wrap her arms and legs around her mother.

"You didn't have anymore nightmares? Oh I'm glad," Kara gently smiled, rubbing her daughter's back. "And how about you, Cal? Sleep well?"

From his perch in Lena's arms, Calvin nodded sleepily. "Yeah mama, slept good." he promised. "Mommy woke me up too early though." He protested in his lisping little voice.

"That's because your Mama has to go to work early and she wanted to say goodbye, silly bird." Lena responded carefully, looking every bit as concerned as Kara felt. Kara would be going off on an off-planet mission, and she wasn't sure when she'd get to come back. If she came back at all. It was impossible not to worry, but Lena knew that Supergirl could handle anything for the sake of their family.