Chapter Two

A week had passed, and it was currently a bank holiday. Despite that, today was an important day all the same. Today was the day that I would finally be meeting Jase's BFF since kindergarten, Brooke Smarts.

Jase had recently turned eighteen, and since doing so he had been visiting the pub regularly. Due to this, he had invited us all to meet him there, and Brooke would, of course, be present.

As I observed the moon gleaming outside my bedroom window, I began to get ready for the evening tying my hair into a loose bun, and applying a small amount of makeup to my eyes and lips.

"Toni! Are you okay?" my dad called out to me.

"Yeah dad!" I told him.

My dad was wise enough to know that I was going out to a pub, and that would mean that it probably wouldn't be the greatest of ideas to rely upon me to drive myself back home. Due to this, he had helpfully volunteered to give me a drive there.

I didn't get why I was so nervous to go to the pub. I mean, I was eighteen, too. My birthday was February 4th...but still, the nerves remained. I could only assume that this had everything to do with the prospect of meeting Brooke. However,  I was sure enough that it would be perfectly fine. Maybe. It wasn't as though I had been thinking on this very matter, since the moment that Jase had mentioned it.

I thought it was understandable enough. I mean, everyone wants to make a good impression on their significant other's friends, right? I sighed. I could only hope that she would like me. It was important that we got along. I mean, I knew I couldn't be friends with everyone. Nevertheless, I knew that if I could get along with Brooke, that would be great.

My father, Pedro, wandered into my room, for a moment.

"You look great. Ready to go?" he asked me then, with a look of admiration present on his face that told me I was probably dressed modestly enough for him to not have a parental freak out about it.

"I'm ready to go," I confirmed, picking up my bag. It was only partially a lie.

Thus, my father and I headed over to his little black car, and sat down within it, as he drove the short drive to the local pub.

I said a goodbye to him, and assured him that I would text him when I needed to be picked up. I doubted I would be drinking that much, though, if I'm being honest. I wanted to make a good first impression on Brooke. I think as important as it was for me to have a close relationship with Jase, it was also important for me to be friends with his best friend, too! Getting drunk on the first meetup was probably not the way to go. 

I soon caught sight  of Jase sat near the bar. Brooke hadn't arrived yet, which may have been a good thing. It would give Jase and I some time to talk to one another. 

"Hey," I greeted him, and he looked towards me with a smile, before standing up from his bar stool. 

It was times like this when I was reminded of just how tall Jase really was. He was 6' exactly, which was much taller than my small 5'2 frame. Thankfully, though, Jase didn't tease me as much as some people certainly did. 

I was thankful for that fact. 

Jase just grabbed me into a bear hug, which comforted me a little. I could always depend upon him to make me feel safe. 

"How are you doing, babe?" he asked me, "I got you a cider. I know that's your favourite," he told me. 

"Always so thoughtful," I smiled at him, as the bartender placed my glass of berry cider down on the counter.  Instinctively, I reached out to take a sip from it, hoping that it would quickly calm down my nerves. 

I knew that I really needn't be worried. It was going to be more than okay. I just hoped I wasn't idealizing this future reality where Brooke, Jase and I got along merrily. I may be setting myself up for disappointment if I did that. 

Jase gave me a look of curiosity, which made me realise that I hadn't responded to his question. 

"I'm fine," I told him. 

He released a gentle laugh. 

"You sure?" he asked me, then. 

I managed to give a nod of my head in response, and he just smiled, moving one of his hands gently through my hair. 

It soothed me a little, but my nerves remained. 

I supposed that you could call me an introvert. I had never been all that great at meeting new people. However, this was just one of Jase's friends. I didn't really need to be all that nervous, did I? 

"Jase's girlfriend?" a voice said from behind me, and I turned to see a girl stood there. She was a little taller than me, and she smelt sweet like vanilla. 

"That would be me," I replied with a smile. 

Fortunately the bar wasn't too packed yet, so I didn't have to yell over other people just to talk to her. 

"Dude, you're hot! I didn't really believe Jase when he mentioned you at first. I mean, we both know Jase, right? Actually, I'm surprised you're dating him but-" 

"Brooke," Jase said, with a slight warning tone to his voice. 

Brooke just smiled sweetly back at him, as though she hadn't just completely held a flame over his name. 

I couldn't help but smirk in gentle amusement, though. This girl actually seemed pretty nice. She was wearing a short black t-shirt that revealed her toned arms, and then was wearing indigo jeans below that. 

"Hey Jase! So, you're Antonia, right?" she asked me, then. 

"That would be me," I replied. 

"Well, it's nice to meet you, Antonia!" she replied, with an energetic voice.

"You too," I stated. 

"I'm going to call you Ant...or Toni...or- you know what? You have this kind of sweet look to you. Sweets work?" she asked me. 

I released a gentle laugh. 

"Yeah, that works," I replied. 

"Alright then, sweets," she smiled back at me. 

Brooke went to order herself a beer, and then we all sat down at the bar together. 

"So, I hear you go to King's College with Jase, huh?" she asked me, then. 

I nodded in response. 

She smiled. 

"I'll be starting there soon. It'll be nice to know more than one person there," she told me. 

I was sure that it would be, and in truth, I felt a little more optimistic about the whole situation now that I knew how friendly Brooke seemed to be. 

I was sure that with time, the two of us could become good friends. Admittedly, I though that it was always going to be scary meeting my boyfriend's new girlfriend, but I hadn't expected to feel such a strong connection with Brooke, as quickly as I did. I looked forward to getting to know her more.