Chapter Twenty-Three

As friendships gradually repaired, Jase and I began to spend some time together again. It was nice. I had found that, as much as he could annoy me to the nth degree at times, I had missed him, too. 

It felt like time was moving quicker than I even thought possible this summer, too. So, I had been pretty thankful for the opportunities that I had to spend time with my friends. The sun was still shining brightly outside, as could be expected from a typical July day.

Jase and I had currently returned to my room, and he glanced at the poster of the phases of the moon on my wall. I had gotten that a while back, during a phase in secondary school where I was obsessed with space. I was still pretty obsessed with space but I wasn't exactly going to go blabbing to people about this matter.

I looked towards Jase momentarily to find that his eyes had closed, and his hair had been lightened by the sunlight. This didn't surprise me. He had been helping his father out with his work a lot, as reliable as ever, and so had spent countless hours outdoors.

"Jace Asher," I spoke, getting his attention in a sing-song voice.

His eyes fluttered open, and his lips lifted on one side to create a small half-smile that just revealed the dimple in his cheek, and drew further attention to his sun-kissed look. The sun had always had a tendency to bring out freckles on Jase's cheeks.

"Bennett?" he asked me.

"What are your plans for after the summer, Asher?" I asked him.

His eyes brightened a little, as he appeared to think on it momentarily but ultimately he just shrugged.

"Anything can happen," he said.

Jase had always kept an open mind when it came to his future. I supposed I respected that. I had chosen to take a gap year from college myself, so it would be a while before I had an solid plans. All I knew for sure was that I wanted to spend as much time with Brooke, as possible.

Jase turned to me with curiosity evident in his eyes.

"Do you ever think about what's going to happen to you, in the future, Antonia?" he asked me.

I sighed.

"All the time," I replied.

I had this future that only really existed in my head, but woe would befall anyone who distracted me from it. I supposed that Brooke had inspired my determination to always work towards what I wanted.

"I just hope we can remain friends," Jase said, after a blip of time.

I met his gaze and managed a smile. It really wasn't that big a deal anymore. Jase had ultimately been incredibly supportive of Brooke and I. Those levels of trust that we had previously had were steadily being built back up again. This was something that I was thankful for. I had to suppose that I had never been a big fan of conflict. I knew not everyone could get along, but I liked to be able to fix things with people where possible.

"Me too," I said.

"Anyway. It's getting a little past midday. I should head home and see if my dad wants any help cooking," he told me.

"Yeah, sounds good," I told him and so the two of us made our way back downstairs towards the front door of my house.

I wished Jase a goodbye and then expected to just return to my room. However, I could tell that it was a beautiful day outside, and so decided to go and spend time in the back garden.

The sky was a bright shade of azure, and a few clouds slowly drifted by.

I moved a hand through my freshly cut hair, as I sat down upon the loveseat outside. Much like Jase, my thoughts began to drift towards the future. I supposed I had to keep an open mind, too. He was right. Anything could happen, really. I just hoped that whatever happened, my friends and I remained close. I knew that far too mant friendships ended after college and I had never wanted that for my group of friends. We were like family, practically inseparable.