Chapter Twenty-Two

Brooke ended up staying over, but after that she had been busy helping her dad out that she hadn't really had the time to visit again. 

"Hello sister dearest," Mikael greeted me, as he came to stand in my bedroom doorway. 

"What do you want?" I asked him. 

"Can't I just want to come and say hi to you?" he asked me. 

"Sounds sus, but continue," I told him. 

"Mum and dad are going to go on a trip for work soon, so with the house free..." he trailed off. 

I already knew which road this was going down, and it wasn't a good one. 

"Mikael, you're fourteen. You can't be seriously thinking about throwing a house party," I told him. 

"What could possibly go wrong?" he asked me. 

"Okay...well, if you're having some of your friends over, then I'm going to have some of mine over," I replied nonchalantly. 

My brother just gave a shake of his head at that statement. 

"Why? What's wrong with that?" I asked him. 

"I analysed this situation, before I even considered inviting them over. If I have my friends over, we won't get alcohol involved. If you have your friends over, however..." he trailed off, then. 

I just gave him a look. 

"We won't drink that much, then. We'll just have a movie night. Netflix and ice cream?" I asked him. 

He managed to give a nod at that suggestion. One point for Antonia. 

"How is Beth, anyway?" I asked him. 

"I think she's mad at me," he said, then. 

"Why would she be mad at you?" I wondered. 

"I've been busily building this house for a game I play with the guys...we've been persevering on getting it done for a while, now. I think that she may just think I'm ignoring her, though," he told me. 

I sighed. 

"How about you just play with Beth?" I asked him, then. 

His eyes brightened a little at that suggestion. 

"You know what? You may actually be onto something, there," he replied. 

I simply shrugged. 

"I'm pretty smart at times, you know," I told him. 

"When you want to be," he replied, before heading back to his room. 

I took this free time to shoot a text to Brooke, just to check if she could hang out today. 

She replied moments later with a text to inform me that she was already outside my house, and I found myself smiling instinctively at that. 

I then rushed down the stairs to open the door for her. 

"Hey sweets!" she greeted me. 

I grabbed her hand and pulled her into the house behind me. 

"Woah. Someone is excited to see me," she commented. 

She took a look around the hall of my house, then, smiling at the pictures of flowers and butterflies on the walls. 

My mother had pretty basic style, when it came to interior decorating, but I still liked it. 

"I have news," I told her. 

"Exciting! What's the news?" she asked me. 

"Well, my parents are going to be away for a short while, which means..." I trailed off.