Chapter 34 - Departure

Alina

It was late in the evening and Mira was still sulking as she sat in her bed, turning her head away from Alina and folding her arms.

"Come on Mira, you know you are still my best friend," Alina said.

"But you spend all your free time with him!" Mira pouted.

"That's because I spend the whole day working with you," Alina sighed in exasperation. She couldn't believe that Mira was really jealous of Alex. "I can only see Alex in my free time which I don't really have that much of. And he's my friend too. But it doesn't mean I love you any less. You are still my favorite person in this house." Alina put an arm around Mira's shoulder and pulled her close, urging her to stop sulking.

It didn't take long for Mira to give in, and her sweet smile soon shone on her face. The two girls giggled and shared a hug, only to be interrupted as Klara suddenly entered the servants' chamber. The chatter within the room died at once and all the girls turned to look at her in alarm. Klara never showed up at the servants' chamber late in the evening unless there was deep trouble.

"You," she pointed at Alina, and Alina's heart sank. "Head off to Lord Tristan's chamber," Klara ordered, just like that.

Alina remained fixed in her place, looking blankly at Klara, trying to translate what she had just heard. The girls were staring in shock between Alina and Klara. This had definitely never happened before. Servants were not just asked to go to Lord Tristan's chamber late in the evening.

"May I ask why?" Alina found her voice at last.

"No, you may not," Klara simply said. "Now get moving."

Alina was still frozen after Klara left. Was she in trouble? Had she offended him? She tried to think of all the things she had done wrong since the summer festival, but she couldn't find anything deserving of punishment.

"Why would he want me in his chamber now?" Alina asked as she turned to Mira in concern.

"Don't worry. Perhaps he just wants to see you," Mira whispered excitedly. "I told you he likes you!"

"I don't think that's the case," Alina said.

"Well, then perhaps you should work on making it the case," Mira winked and Alina rolled her eyes.

"I am definitely not interested in that," Alina scoffed, while her heart thumped at the thought. Well, perhaps she was a little bit interested. But it was very unlikely that Tristan would even care...

"I think you better go quickly if you don't want Maggie strangling you as we speak," Kat said calmly as she sat next to Mira. Alina didn't even need to look at Maggie to see the murderous glare in her eyes.

***

As Alina entered Tristan's chamber, she found him sitting at the low table before the fireplace, watching the flames as they burned and crackled, casting dancing shadows against the walls.

"I can't sleep," Tristan said and Alina raised a curious eyebrow at him while he still sat staring towards the fireplace, the reflection of the flames flickering in his black eyes. "I want you to entertain me," he continued, finally turning to face her.

Alina was numb for a long moment as she tried to get his meaning.

"You can ask Virginia if that's what you need!" she snapped, her legs shaking with fury as she attempted to turn and leave.

"No." His firm voice stopped her in her tracks. "I don't need that kind of entertainment. Now sit down," he ordered, and Alina reluctantly turned around, looking at him suspiciously. "Sit. Down!" he repeated.