CHAPTER 2

The drive from the airport to my father's office seemed to be a bit short, I thought I would have the opportunity to catch up on some sleep, but unfortunately for me, that didn't happen at all. So here I am, standing outside, silently wishing that I don't have to enter.

And also wishing that this is all just a nightmare. But life doesn't really work like that. 

I slowly step out of the elevator as it arrives at the top floor, well according to my Dad, this is the floor where all the magic happens. My father owns Wells Consolidated, well it's more like a family heirloom in my eyes. 

The company was passed down from father to son for generations. Like most stereotypical why-I-decided-to-serve stories, my family has a history when it comes to being involved with defending this country. 

It all started with a guy named Harrison Wells, while he was unlucky to be drafted for the first World War back in the day, he was one of the lucky ones who made it home. If my memory of history serves me correctly, there were sudden open opportunities for businesses following the War and The Great Depression. 

So as soon as he settled down, he started a shipping business, I guess you can say that the apple didn't fall too far from the tree. His youngest son, also served in the second World War. 

On the other hand, that ancestor of mine seemed to have inherited a bit of his old man's luck, and so he survived. Another Wells was then able to take over his father's shipping business, and I guess this company has been like that for a while. 

Oh right, there's also my Dad. 

The company expanded back in the late 90's, business was booming, stocks were rising, and of course, money was flowing. My father loves this company, so much so, that he didn't even bother to serve his country like his predecessors. 

As for myself, I'd rather face bullets every single day of my life, than sit in an office and push numbers. "Excuse me, do you know where I can find John Wells?" 

The secretary doesn't even spare me a glance as she busily types away. "He's in a meeting." 

I roll my eyes at her forced answer. "I didn't ask what he's doing, I just wanna know where to find him." 

She immediately snaps her eyes at me, realization suddenly hits, as she glances at the name tag on my uniform. "Conference Room C." 

I visibly scowl at her then walk away, with that encounter to the back of my mind, I take in my surroundings as I make my way to my father. Much to my surprise, the office hasn't changed much, even though there's evidence of a few small renovations here and there, I was able to find my way to the conference room. 

A bit of nostalgia hit as I glance at the high ceiling, the first job I've ever had, was in the mail room downstairs. My father wanted me to work my way up, but then all his dreams crashed and burned when I decided to enlist. 

He was devastated. Back then I thought his reaction was a bit exaggerated, but now that I've experienced a few things, I guess I understand why he flat out refused.  

His wife died a few years back, and now his only child wanted to go to war, he just couldn't understand why. 

I don't think I even understood that decision of mine.

I pause momentarily as I approach the conference room, maybe I shouldn't have dropped by unannounced like this. But now that I'm already here, I might as well just get this over with. 

I take a deep breath before opening the door to the conference room, and as soon as I enter, four pairs of eyes meet my own. "Samantha?" 

My Dad immediately gets up from his chair and walks over to me. I find myself sighing happily as he embraces me.