CHAPTER 5

I've always been interested in whatever comes on Animal Planet,  it's a bit fascinating when one draws the conclusion that humans aren't that much different from animals. Besides, watching these tigers while chewing loudly on some nachos, kinda takes my mind off the impending date with Leo. 

I think I have about at least half an hour until Leo gets here, and it's better to sort of acclimatize myself with my attire. Elizabeth- Louisa's spawn- seems to be spending more time at home now that I'm here, I want to say that I don't mind the company, but the teen can be a bit annoying sometimes. 

"Oh my God, Samantha!" Here we go again... "I heard you have a date with Leo Palmer!"

I cringe as she squeals loudly, you would think Elizabeth's the one going on this date, and while I'll admit that Leo is indeed handsome, and also good in bed, I still haven't seen the appeal. But then, nothing much really appeals to me these days.

"It's no big deal, I just happened to lose a bet." 

She sits beside me in an instant,"no big deal?" Yeah, I just said that didn't I?

"He's actually apart of this collective called, New York's Billionaire Bachelors," I raise my eyebrows at that, "well they don't call themselves that, but majority of New York, which includes all the girls at my school, are keeping their eyes on them."

Why am I even listening to this?  

"There are four Billionaire Bachelors, and they're all friends," she lets out a dreamy sigh, "you're so lucky!" 

Another high pitched squeal escapes her lips, and I can't help but roll my eyes in response. "I guess I am." 

I plaster on a smile as I figure it would be too much to sneer at the poor teen. "You should smile more Samantha, you look less of a soldier, and more like a woman..."

What the hell? "...and you have such a superb tan."

Oh course she mentions the tan, and now there goes my mind, running wild with the memories, and leaving me feeling even more bitter. As if I need to dig up what's long buried, as if I need to think about what a shit-storm Syria was, thanks a lot Elizabeth, this is just what I need.

Instead of sitting here feeling sorry for myself, I give the excuse of wanting to doll myself up,  for the impending disaster, and with that I'm able to get away from the teen for a while. In the safety of my bedroom, I stand before the mirror as I take in my attire, and I can't comprehend what prompted me to wear this dress, as I've never been the type who likes to dress up. 

The camouflage provides much more protection than one would think, and this dress is showing too much skin for my liking. "Samantha, your date's here!" 

I glance at my reflection once more, and as I look at myself, I wonder if I'm overextending myself a bit in this situation. I don't want to go out on dates, I don't want to be dressed up in this stupid garb, and most importantly, I don't want to spend an entire year away from what I love to do best. 

Well, knock 'em dead solider. 

I all but drag my feet to the foyer, and as I spot Louisa chatting up Leo, I wish I could do something sinister to her. It would honestly make my day to see her in an uncomfortable/nightmare-inducing situation. 

If that were to happen, then I think I would be able do die happy. With no other choice, I end up clearing my throat as to signify my presence.

The Billionaire Bachelor flashes me such an intense look, and instead of offering that signature sneer of mine, I find myself feeling a bit weird at the scrutiny. "You look wonderful Samantha."