01.

"God said, love thy enemy. And so I obeyed him and loved myself."

-

Adelaide

Adelaide

-

"Well, darling. Are you sure you've got everything?" My mother probed, for what had to be the hundredth time. Her perfectly manicured fingers held my cheeks, examining the skin thoroughly.

"Your lip gloss is smudging hija, here." Before I could pull away, her tongue swiped across her thumb and my overbearing mother brought it to my lip, wiping away the glossy product.

I stepped back in slight repulsion, stretching the material of my white shirt to wipe the remnants of her saliva off my face. "Mother, I'm not a five year old." I scolded, a playful smile on my face.

Sativa Daniel's was a beautiful woman, there was no denying it. In the words of her lover, she was created by a combination of the moon and stars. She made you feel the effects of a Friday on a Monday, She felt like summer and her scent was best described as freshly bloomed flowers. The woman in front of me was God's gift to mankind. An angel among demons, or better yet, the light in the darkness.

I was a spitting image of my mother. Brown eyes that looked way too ordinary on me, stood out on her slightly aged face. A woman nearing her fifties who didn't look a day over forty. Three present, but unnoticeable unless you were really looking, crow's feet decorated her eyelids, but she was beautiful nonetheless.

"I know hija, but I am only doing my job." I smiled sincerely and she gave me a once over, eyes lingering on my bare legs. "You must be cold, shall I grab you a coat? I think I will." As soon as she spun around on her flat shoes, I grabbed the back of her hand. "Summer has just begun mom, I'll be fine." I reassured the woman, glancing at the ticking clock on my wrist.

At the rate we were going, I'd never arrive on time.

She pushed away estranged brown locks from her face, nodding sympathetically. "I'm being a helicopter mom, aren't I?"

I nodded sheepishly and she pulled me in for what was hopefully the last hug. "I'm going to miss you so much. Oh, my little baby, stay safe, okay?"

I tightened my grip around her waist, inhaling her summery perfume as well as the scent of her floral shampoo, laced in her shoulder length hair. "It's only three days, you'll be fine." I assured, my words muffled by her shoulder.

The cab driver I had called over honked impatiently, fed up with having to wait an extra five minutes.

I looked over at the elderly man, my smile laced with guilt.

"I have to go now." I announced, holding her at arm's length.

She dramatically fanned her face, preventing tears from flowing down her pink cheeks. "Leave before I start crying."