⋆ not just a game ⋆

"Alright everyone gather round."

Zeke and Uriah stand on a black couch in their living room, staring down at the large group of people settled in the area. Wild smiles play across their faces and it's hard to tell if it's from the booze or the general excitement that fills the room.

My heart pumps fast, a thin sheen of sweat coating my skin, either from the dancing or my nerves I'm unsure.

"We're playing Candor or Dauntless. Anyone not playing, get out!" They announce in unison. 

With the statement made they hop down from their couch podium and begin ushering those uninterested out of the apartment. 

When it's all said and done the majority of the people have exited, leaving only 10 of us left. Those who remain are either young thrill seekers or have nothing better to do with their Saturday nights than play a childish game.

"In a circle!" Someone yells from the back, each of us slowly following their directions. I plop down where I stand, letting the other gather around me, uncaring of the occasional push I get from someone bumping into me.

I end up with Lynn to my left and Zeke to my right.

"Okay," Zeke says next to me, his speech is slurred but still distinguishable. "If you don't know how to play then oh well," a few chuckles echo around the group. 

"Who wants to start?" I look around at the others near me, the question floating in the air. I'm about to volunteer when Uriah speaks up.

"Me," He states, leaning in to look at his victims. "Shauna, Candor or Dauntless?" He asks. The blond haired girl makes a face that is meant to mock hurt, her hand over her heart.

"Dauntless, is there any other option?" She scoffs.

"Okay, go to the kitchen and get the scissors, come back and you'll see what happens next." He says this all with a mischievous grin, it doesn't disappear until she renters the room. "Now. Cut your hair. To right about..." He says motioning to his jaw. "Here."

"Ugh," she frowns, flashing him a small glare. "I just finally grew it out. Fine, but you'll pay for this." She says pointing the scissors threateningly at him. Without much delay she takes a handful of hair, slicing the blades across it. Blond strands fall to the floor, not stopping until I'm able to clearly see the back of her neck.

"My turn." She smirks, seemingly unfazed by her previous actions despite the ringlets of blond hair on the ground around her. "Ahh Eric, feared Dauntless leader, all mighty king. Candor or Dauntless?"

My heart skips a beat when I hear his name, or more so the exaggerated name she has just given them. It may not be commonly know, but I've had a crush on him since our initiation.

I remember the first time I met him, he was scrawnier back then, I let out a small at the idea. Some eyes fall onto me for my random outburst but I ignore their gazes. Frankly I'm surprised he's even here, this doesn't seem like his type of scene.

"Why even ask? Dauntless." He states, he seems to be one of the most sober people here, myself excluded.

"Perfect." Shauna giggles and I know she has to be up to something. Her eyes meet mine for a split second but it's long enough to tell me that she's going to do something stupid.

Oh God please don't.

"Why don't you smooch Y/N over there. She seems to be enjoying her day too much." She tries to make it seem like a casual thing but I know damn well that this was planned. I grown internally at her.

"Really Shauna?" I question her, granting me a famous glare in response.

"Don't 'really' me, I just cut all my hair off, I think you can handle one kiss." She snaps, I know it's just a cover but her attitude makes me keep my mouth shut.

"Alright I'll do it." Eric says after staring at the two of us. Without hesitation he stands from the floor and walks over to me. Before I can fully register what's happening his body is bent, his hand placed on the back of my neck. He smirks at me, the look making my heart flutter.

Calm down.

"Ready?" He asks, leaning in closer so our noses nearly touch. I can only manage a nod, staring into his steel grey eyes longer than needed.

"Y/N, I need you to say you want this. I don't care about the game, if you're uncomfortable I can leave." He states this all so quiet I'm sure I'm the only one able to hear him. My heart squeezes at his consideration, the bad boy act dropping for at least a second.

"No." I pause, probably having replied too quickly. "I, uh, no. It's okay, seriously, it's just a game right?" I can tell my voice is higher than normal but with his callused fingers drawing small circles on the back of my neck I can't bring myself to care.

"Okay. Are you sure?" He questions one last time, and while I'm glad he cares, unrest and anticipation boils violently inside of me. Before I can change my mind I grip the collar of his shirt, swiftly yanking him forward.

Our lips connect and for a moment it's calm and butterflies form in my stomach my heart doing flips. Yet the softness morphs into hunger in mere seconds, his hands tangle my hair, a thumb planted on my cheek. My body burns as I grapple for a handle, my fingers working into the grooves of his short hair, my other hand gripping his shirt. I can't tell how long we stay like this, our beings stuck together like glue before cheers erupt from around us. The sounds of screams makes me jump, accidentally bitting Eric's lip, eliciting a small groan in return before we pull apart.

I make brief eye contact with those in the room around me, a hodgepodge of reactions greeting me. The most notable being Shauna's pride, her ego so big I can feel it across the room. Rolling my eyes I focus my attention back on the man in front of me, my stomach hallowing when I see the mess he's become. His normally sculpted blond hair is ruffled and falls to his eyebrows in small tendrils, his lips red and puffy. It takes all the will power I have not to reach for his crumpled shirt again.

Sharing his gaze I watch as he leans in yet again, this time moving his lips to my ear.

"Wanna get out of here?" He asks, a hand grazing my waist. My breath hitches, every nerve in my body heightening.

"Yes." I reply, barely finishing the word before he's grabbing my arm and pulling me up and to the door, cheers echoing again around us as we leave.

This is bound to be the best night of my life.