five. the bends

"Are you actually dumb?" Mer yelled walking into the house with JJ and John B following

"Are you actually dumb?" Mer yelled walking into the house with JJ and John B following. "First of all, you steal the gun from the fucking safe, which by itself is not smart. They had a gun for a reason, dumbass. Second of all, you point it at someone and threaten them. With the safety off! And you point it at Topper of all people!"

"What? I was supposed to let him drown John B?" JJ asked in retaliation. John B walked past the two arguing teens back to his room to rest from his near-death experience.

"No, dumbass. You help him but not with a fucking gun," JJ could admit that Mer was right, but he didn't want to give her the satisfaction.

"What else was I supposed to do?"

"Oh, I don't know football tackle him, push him away. Anything!" Mer threw her hands up as she stared at JJ who was staring at her like a kicked puppy. "God, come here."

JJ walked closer to Mer who pulled him into her arms. JJ rested his head on her shoulder while Mer rubbed his back and ran her fingers through his hair. "I was scared."

"I know, J. I know," Mer whispered as she sat down on the pull out couch, bringing JJ with her. She got comfortable and pulled him closer to lay his head on her chest.

"He's my best friend, ya know?" JJ whispered holding onto one of Mer's hand and her waist.

"I know," Mer ran her fingers through his hair, silently lulling him to sleep. She couldn't feel the effects of the drugs and alcohol in her system anymore due to the fight her best friend partook in. She was just glad they were home and in bed.

Mer told herself, Tomorrow. I stop giving in tomorrow.

Mer woke up the next morning with JJ laying beside her with his arms wrapped around her and the sun just now rising. She picked up her phone from beside her on the pullout and looked at the time. She had an hour before she had to be at work.

Scrolling through all her texts, some from John B telling her he was fine, one from Sarah asking if John B was alright, one from Topper apologizing to her, several from her dad just telling her he was leaving for work and what bills still needed to be paid. But none from Rafe. It wasn't unheard of Rafe not texting her after a night of selling.

He was usually passed out from using what he was supposed to be selling. So Mer took it upon herself and texted him asking if he was okay not expecting an answer until noon. After she sent the text, she slid out from under JJ's arms and slowly tried to get up from the bed without making any noise.

Successfully getting out of the bed, she made her way to John B's room, not trying to be quiet because she knew he wouldn't be getting up for a while and he's a heavy sleeper. John B let her keep some clothes in her own section in his closet. Mer quickly took out her work shirt that her boss made her wear since all she would wear to work was a bikini top after spending the morning at the beach or surfing. She looked around his room for her favorite pair of cut off jean shorts which were laying on his desk for some reason along with one of her bras.