Sequence 1-1: Talks of Freedom Between Meals

DISCLAIMER: I claim no ownership to Connor Kenway or people formally mentioned in the Ubisoft video game, Assassins Creed III. I do own Raina and other characters formally unmentioned though.

Spring 1786

Footsteps rushed through the forest, the sounds of breath coming in and out of huffs as trees flew past. A look behind revealed that the men chasing on horseback were coming nearer and nearer. Fear clutched the heart but still, the need for freedom took prevalence. There was only one chance, only one to make this escape and make it to the railroad. Closer...just a bit closer...there! A lantern lit in a window. Head for it! The running footsteps make it into the yard, and finally to the door that was opening, revealing a warm cozy glow and outstretched hands of assistance.

This...this was what the first steps of freedom felt like.

Eyelids framed by dainty eyelashes move upward, revealing dark brown orbs that focus on the ceiling of a cabin. They move to the right, where a dimly lit fireplace was. There is no cozy glow here, no outstretched hands.

"No," Raina whispers, her arm coming up and over her eyes. "It was just a dream."

Her body raises up on the straw pallet she usually slept on and tears well hot in her eyes. For the past couple of days, she had been having this same dream: to have freedom so close she could practically taste it only to wake up still in bondage. She moves some of her thick wavy dark hair behind her shoulder and sighs, trying to get over the remnants of her dream. A look to her left shows her older roommate and caretaker Edie still snoring softly. She gets up hearing the rooster starting to crow outside, which meant she only had about fifteen minutes or so to get appropriately dressed and ready to head to the big house in order to cook breakfast for the master and the mistress. She smiles warmly at the woman behind her, wanting more than anything to let her sleep but the consequences for being late spur her to wake her up.

"Edie, rise and shine. Time to get up, sugar." Her voice is quiet with well-meaning and it seems to do the trick as the woman starts stirring and rising to a sitting position as well.

"I was only resting my eyes, Rainy."

"I understand. I like to rest my eyes for eight hours too." Raina replies, getting a soft belly laugh in response.

<<< >>>

The young woman manages to get herself ready quickly enough to hurry to the house. She rushes under huge willow trees, noticing lights turning on in other quarters signaling that other slaves were getting ready to start their workdays along with hers. The weather is warm but the humidity's heavy like a rough blanket, making Raina incredibly happy that she was blessed to work inside of the home. Raina had been born a slave on Ridgedale; the plantation that belongs to Thomas Carmichael alongside his young wife, Ella.

The master was pretty civil to her all of her life, giving the okay for her to work in the kitchen next to Edie ever since she was orphaned and despite knowing that she was his property, she made sure to give him her respect around him. However, Mistress Ella was another thing entirely. She never missed a chance to cut evil glares towards Raina's direction or to harp on her for no reason at all and she never understood why but not to be a problem towards the two she kept her distance as often as possible.

Out of breath, Raina enters through the back door and grabs her apron seeing yet another house cook, Annabelle next to the huge stove stirring suppawn, a thick porridge of cornmeal and milk cooked together. The milk was taken from the cow early in the morning. She gave her an amicable smile before starting to look around for what was next to make. She settled for getting the fruit together to accompany the main meal as well as some extra milk to wash it down. After waiting patiently for Annabelle to set the two steaming bowls of suppawn down, Raina took no time to pick up the tray to walk into the large dining room where she knows her owner and his wife sat expectantly.