Chapter 13 - A Life-Changing Announcement

The female anchor of the Lotus Hill Evening News was saying, "We interrupt this program to bring you some breaking news."
Then, the next clip showed a reporter clutching a microphone.
He said, "I'm here live in front of the Royal Palace where His Majesty King Omito is about to make a major announcement. Let's listen in."
The camera then showed King Omito of Egalisia in full yellow regalia standing at a podium against the backdrop of a gold-crusted door decorated with devas.
A robust man in his fifties, the King stroked his thick full moustache and adjusted his glasses.
Then, he cleared his throat and began his speech.
"Loyal subjects and fellow countrymen and women. I stand before you all tonight to announce an exciting competition. I am looking for an upstanding citizen of Egalisia to fill a court position. It's not just any ordinary court position, but a special coveted official position that requires the candidate to have excellent traits and characteristics. It is a mystery position, but a pleasant surprise."
He paused, adjusted his jewel-encrusted crown, then continued, "Instead of the usual boring application process complete with cover letters and resumes, I will hire this candidate after he or she goes through a series of tests and trials that proves to me that he or she is worthy. Contestants will be tested on different qualities, but I won't state which ones. The entire process will be televised live on a TV show called Egalisia's Extraordinary Competition. Contestants will be eliminated one by one based on certain rules until there is only one left."
He smiled into the camera. "So who is the best citizen of Egalisia? Who has street smarts? Who embodies the noble traits of a true Egalisian and is therefore, worthy of a court position that pays $1,000,000 in salary a year? There is no experience required. Winning the contest is proof enough for me that you are worthy of this position. Oh, and you have to be at least ten years old to apply."
Theo grew excited. He was old enough to qualify.
The King went on, "And how does one apply for this special royal post, you might ask? Over the past few days, five pyropes, our national gem, have been hidden somewhere within the city limits of our beloved splendid capital city of Lotus Hill. The pyropes, one per person, will serve as an entry ticket into the competition. The five street-smart and cunning people who manage to find the pyropes will be our contestants."
Theo was astonished. The monk had been right.
Just as Theo was in his darkest moment, just as he had hit rock bottom, just as he was about ready to crack under all the financial pressures and strains and worries, a golden opportunity had indeed presented itself.
The mood grew ominous as the King's smile vanished. "Oh, one more thing: you will face dangerous situations and there's a chance you might die during the Extraordinary Competition. You have to be willing to take that risk. My legal advisors tell me that all contestants will have to sign legal waivers before they will be allowed to enter the race."
Then the King's mood lightened again. "Loyal subjects, I look forward to meeting the five clever citizens that manage to find the pyropes. And yes, you get to keep the pyropes even if you decide not to enter the competition. In that case, depending on the number of people who decide to keep the pyropes, I will hide more pyropes until five contestants are selected to compete. If you decide to use the pyrope to enter the competition, then you must hand it back to me. Loyal subjects, I wish you all good night and good luck!"
The King then relaxed and began scratching his groin.
Off camera, he said to his assistant, "Oh God, my cock itches. It hurts when I pee too. I think I fucked too many of those cheap hookers last night. Might have caught something nasty."
A voice off camera said, "Uh, Your Majesty, I think we're still on the air."
"What?!" cried the King. "Son of a...."
The clip abruptly cut back to the reporter.
Theo was too excited to laugh at the King's blunder.
He knew there was only a slim chance he would find the pyrope and be one of the five contestants out of millions of hopefuls, but he had to try, both for his own sake and for Wolfie's.
He was determined not only to be one of the five contestants, but to win the whole damn competition.
$1,000,000 a year went a very long way in the Kingdom of Egalisia. It would certainly pay for Wolfie's medical treatments. Hell, even the pyrope was probably worth something, maybe a few hundred thousands dollars, definitely enough to pay for the required doses of anti-retroviral medication for Wolfie for long.
With the $1,000,000, he would have more than enough money left over to buy a nice penthouse apartment somewhere and take care of himself and Wolfie, without having to rely on the charity of others or being taken advantage of. There would be three square meals a day, air conditioning, a big-screen TV, a swimming pool, fancy Ferraris, chauffeurs and the whole shebang.
His mind was imagining it all with anticipation.
But he did wonder what kind of position allowed contestants as young as ten years old to apply. He was curious about the this mystery position that was supposed to be a pleasant surprise.
He was also slightly worried about the risk-of-death part of the competition.
But living in the Mountain of Garbage wasn't really living anyway. He would rather risk dying and have a shot at the good life than continue to live this terrible life.
And now that he didn't even have a shack to live in, he realized he had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
He had to find a pyrope.
He had to enter the competition.
And he had to win it.
He had so many reasons to enter the Extraordinary Competition.
For one, he could use the money to save Wolfie.
For another, he could use the money to hire a private detective to find out what had happened his mother.
For a third, he had seen firsthand how evil Compassion NGO was. With the money left over after taking care of himself and Wolfie, he could build his own NGO, one that actually cared about helping the destitute and downtrodden street kids like him. That was his new dream now.
Lucky for him, he had spent several years living in Lotus Hill, so he knew the city inside out.
Where would the King instruct the pyropes to be hidden?
 Theo decided he would look high and low, checking every nook and cranny of the capital city to find one.
He vowed he would not rest until he found one.
He just wasn't looking forward to the stampede that was sure to follow as millions of other potential applicants descend on the city in search of the precious gems.
He was so excited.
It was now game on!