Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

CHAPTER FIVE

"One of these days, I'm going to burn that fucking field hockey skirt."

- Nathaniel Knox, upon returning home from college and finding his best friend's sister all grown up.

I blink in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"Do I really have to spell it out for you?"

"Apparently."

"God, it's like dealing with an Amish girl on her Rumspringa. Starting from square fucking one." Lila shakes her head and pins me with a steely look. "Phoebe. Honey. He was jealous."

I snort. "No, he wasn't."

"He was." She sighs, deeply exasperated. "Why else would he have shown up that night? As in, the first night you've ever heeded my sage advice and gone out with a hot guy?"

"Trust me," I choke out. "Nate didn't come over because of some kind of long-buried romantic feelings. Parker probably asked him to check in on me."

"Oh, my poor, sweet, dim-witted little virgin." Lila shakes her head. "Have I taught you nothing?"

"I don't follow." My eyes narrow. "And I may be dim-witted, but you've blown a goddamned fuse."

"He. Was. Jealous!" She casts her eyes heavenward. "You're worse than Amish. Swear to god, I'm living an Anne of Green Fucking Gables episode. Anne's First Crush."

"Hey!"

"Phee, get with the program. He wants your bod."

"Did you just say he wants your bod?"

Her mouth opens, closes, and opens again. A hint of a blush colors her cheeks. "Maybe."

"Wasn't that the slogan of those horrible '90s commercials for men's body mist? You know, the kind that smells like testosterone mixed with lighter fluid?"

"BOD spray." Lila nods. "Or, as I like to call it, Eau de Jersey Shore."

"Eau de Seventh Grade Boy," I counter.

She giggles. "Eau de Small Penis."

We both dissolve into laughter. I'm wiping tears from the corner of my eye when Lila's hands clap together abruptly, startling me. My gaze flies back to hers and I find she's staring at me, all humor forgotten.

"Hey! Focus! No more tangents." She leans forward. "We were talking about Knox and your deluded belief that he came over out of some kind of brotherly duty."

"It's not deluded; it's the truth. He came because he thought I was in danger with Brett. Which, it turns out, I was. Have you seen the news? He's kind of a minor-league sociopath."

A few days after Nate's surprise visit, I logged onto the web and was immediately assaulted by news stories about my gala date.

BRETT CROFT ARRESTED IN CONNECTION TO KIDNAPPING

CHARGES BROUGHT AGAINST BILLIONAIRE CROFT HEIR

FAMILY FUED: CROFT COUSIN'S SECRET VENDETTA

Apparently, no matter how much money you have, it's still not enough to bury kidnapping and attempted murder charges. Let's just say, I was more than relieved that I hadn't called Brett for a second date.

"But he looks like Ian Somerhalder," Lila protests. "How can someone so hot be so evil? It's against the laws of nature."

"Lila, I don't care how hot he is. Brett Croft is bad news. He was arrested, like, two days after our first date for basically trying to kill his cousin's girlfriend, Gemma — who is really freaking nice, by the way. The story's been in every single newspaper. Which you'd know if you ever bothered to read one."