Part 13; 7:52 pm

Numbers, words, punctuations. Yellow, green, blue. All is displayed on the blackboard that is the computer desktop. I am now staring at an unmoving screen, scared that if I take my eyes off of it for a second, it may disappear. This is the solid proof of brutality in humans.

Without taking my eyes off of the screen that is before me, I put two and two together, "So... Whoever asked you to work on this wants you to insert this spygene into a person? So it won't heal diseases... instead it installs a spyware into your body? What does that do? Monitor you? So then why are they forcing you to give it to them now? The success rate isn't even 15%. It's too low for a successful project. So why do they want it now? Is this the way our president will deal with delinquents? If yes, I know who not to vote for during election—"

Dr. Sanders touches my hand that rests on the table. She laughs softly and gives me a small smile, "This president is not our country's president, Linette." She offers me no other explanation on the matter, implicitly telling me to drop it. Then she continues, "That is what I want to know, too. Theoretically, 11% is success, 89% is not. If it does not succeed, then the therapy will trigger uncontrollable growth in the body. I hope I am wrong, but this may mean that they want this therapy to fail. If it does, this spygene will be duplicated more in the body, and once it reaches a certain number, the spygene will have maximum control over the body.

"That is why I will not give them the report. God knows what they will make. An army of braindead people?"

I nod in understanding. She's not wrong.

"What should we do, then?"

Without hesitation, Dr. Sanders shakes her head vigorously, "Not you, me." As if convincing herself more than me, she repeats herself, "Not you, me. You are here because of me. You are not even supposed to be here," she finishes with a wail.

"But I'm here anyway. Please let me help you," I plead with her, taking her hand in mine.

She places another hand on top of our intertwined hands, "And you will. Remember what I told you? Remember the number?"

"Yes."

"That's the only thing I need you to do, when this is all over," she says almost emotionlessly. I can see the slight hesitation in her eyes.

This will all be over soon.

I nod, "Okay."

Looking up from our joined hands, I take in the sight that is Dr. Sanders sporting dried blood on her cheek. I go around the table and approach her with caution, "Dr. Sanders... What did they do to you?" I gasp while tearing up.

"Hey, hey. No need for tears. As long as my brain is fine, I am fine," she laughs it off while pointing a finger at her head.

However, seeing that I'm not laughing along with her, she pulls my arm and wraps her arms around my neck. In turn, I wrap my arms around her torso. She rubs her hand on my back before pulling away from our hug.

Her face brightens as she remembers something. Digging into her pocket, she takes out a small, circular object and places it in my hand. It feels cold to the touch.

"I believe in you. You will become a great woman, Linette." It pains me to hear her voice wavering, "Do not forget that you are only seventeen. You still have so much growing up to do. Cry, laugh, frown, smile. Do all you need to do to live your life. Do not let anything stop you, not even me." By the end of her little speech, Dr. Sanders and I have waterfalls flowing down our faces. They are untamed currents that cannot be stopped.

Yet even with tears in her eyes, Dr. Sanders reaches out her hands and wipes away my tears. She adds, "This is the most important lesson I have for you."

I cry even harder.

Before I can register what is happening, the door to the clean room is slammed open. Dr. Sanders instantly pulls me in for another hug before Victor comes in to forcefully pull us apart. On instinct, I cling to Dr. Sanders tightly, but I am no match for a big, beefy giant. He pulls on my arm and grabs my wrist—of course, it just has to be the injured one. I yelp in pain, involuntarily loosening my grip on Dr. Sanders. My watery eyes are boring holes into the ground.

After he secures me by holding both my hands captive, he growls, "Are you taking our threats lightly, Doctor?" I tighten my grip on the coin that is in my hands.

"NO," she automatically replies. "No, the report will be done soon. Just keep her here until it is done. I will finish it outside."

"We are not to be fooled. If we sense that you are lying, something will happen to her." Then Victor turns to his men who are hanging around the doorway to the clean room, "Buzz, outside. Monday, door. Vulture, inside."

I hear the shuffling of different pairs of feet as his men obey his command. I dare not look up, trying to stop my excessive crying. Instead, I look down at the coin that is resting on my palm as tears continue to stream down my cheek. Then, I hear the door close and lock. I don't bother to look up and entertain whoever is here, so I stay still and plan to stay still until I get a hold of myself.

Breathe in, breathe out.

"Linette," a voice I never want to hear again calls me.

Breathe in, hitch, breathe out.

I jerk away from his soft touch on my arm. His touch is soft, but I can no longer feel the warmth that comes along with it. Or was there no warmth at all since the beginning? Was it just my imagination fooling me to think that there was something real between us?

Breathe in, breathe out.

"Will you just look at me?" he asks, exasperated.

BREATHE IN—

My breath stops as I look up and face the man who gave my heart back in pieces.