Part 20; 8:55 am

After my sudden mental collapse, we end up cuddled underneath a table. Honestly, I don't even know how we got here, something about having to not be in the open for too long. We're practically invisible to the outsiders when we're hiding in this cramped space underneath a workbench.

Despite the heat that I feel radiating off of his skin that takes full charge of my senses, I am well aware that my eyes are all puffy from every single one of the tears I let out. Through my pillow-like eyes, I watch Monday's every movements. His subtle but shallow breathing, his fluttering eyes even when he has them closed, his unconsciouly furrowing eyebrows. There are almost no other words to describe him as anything but innocent.

Keyword almost.

I don't know whether to trust him or not, but so far he hasn't given me a reason not to. He has proven himself worthy of my trust. With very little doubt left in my heart, I say slowly, "Dr. Sanders told me to call someone."

"Who?" he replies without opening his eyes.

In any other circumstances, I would definitely have given a sarcastic remark, however, not in the mood to be sarcastic, I get straight to the point, "I'm not sure. She only told me to call the number if anything goes wrong," and something did go very, very wrong, "I know they're out there, looking for us right now, but I'm scared that if I call the number too late, I would miss out on the opportunity to help," I desperately tell Monday. My voice becomes strained as the tears pool in my eyes for the umpteenth time today. Trust me, I just can't help it.

Hearing my hoarse voice, Monday's eyes flutter open. He gives me a slow-moving nod, "I understand."

"Going to the principal's office proved to be no use. The landlines were cut, literally. The only other place with a phone is the payphone in the cafeteria," I continue explaining to Monday.

Monday looks like he is deep in his thoughts, eyes looking anywhere but me. With great urgency, I coax him into telling me everything he knows about this operation. "I need you to tell me how many of you there are, where you guys are situated, when you guys are supposed to leave, and most importantly how you guys are going to get out of here."

He furrows his eyebrows, thinking for a short while before the explanation pours out of his mouth. "There are ten of us. You've seen them all except for one, the driver. Three on the seventh floor—the ones by each classroom, three in the labs, one by the principal's office—or the one in the principal's office, and one doing rounds," then he pauses with a hum before continuing, "Oh, and one freelancer sitting by you," he finishes, looking at me with a small smile. It disappears as soon as it appeared, though. A frown replaces his smile as he proceeds with his response to my questions, "We are supposed to leave after we get the sample, but I guess there was a change of plans I wasn't made aware of," he says quietly, probably fearing I might go into my depressing state again.

"As to how you're going to get out of here?" I urge him to continue.

"We were only going to get in the van and drive out as if nothing happened, but..." he trails off, indecisive whether to loop me in on this specific detail or not.

"But?" I press, getting impatient.

"If something like this were to happen, we have a backup plan." I give him the nod to keep going. "Our backup plan is to have it look like a terrorist attack by a security guard in this school," he ends his sentence with a grimace.

I push my eyebrows together. "How are you going to do that?"

I have a feeling I won't like the answer.

"Vulture will take care of that."

Resentment blossoms within me. I clench my fist and grit my teeth, more than ready to pummel him furiously. How did I ever come to admire a lying, manipulative, cunning heartbreaker? I cannot ever forgive myself for making such a foolish decision. "A teacher to start this mess and a student to cover it up. Classy. This is why trust is an issue," I say through gritted teeth. "Is there anyone else I should be worried about?"