Dance with me.

At home, Tate and Fawn were sitting at the kitchen table talking

At home, Tate and Fawn were sitting at the kitchen table talking. Fawn smiled, "You look like you've had a good afternoon."

"I have," I couldn't stop grinning.

"Would you like some tea? You can tell us all about your day." She pointed at the mugs, "Come on, grab one. I want to know what's put you in such a good mood."

As Fawn filled my cup, Tate used her distraction to give me a serious face and shake his head; he was reminding me to be careful. I appreciated his concern, but I knew Fawn loved this world and didn't share the Queen's low opinion of humans; she'd be pleased for me.

"Something kind of exciting happened. I was with Jolie, and someone commented about my appearance. Apparently, she thought I was too experienced to be spending time with Jolie."

Fawn laughed, "I can see how someone would make that assumption."

"I don't understand what my looks have to do with experience."

This time they both laughed, but it was Tate who answered, "It could be that people think you're too good-looking to be as inexperienced as you are."

At my blank look, Fawn added, "Girls must be showing an interest in you at school. You haven't noticed?"

I thought about Mandy sitting on my desk and the jealousy Samantha had been feeling toward Jolie. "I have no interest in them, so I didn't give them any more thought."

Shaking his head, Tate said, "Is your total cluelessness the big thing that happened today?"

"No, but it helped. When Jolie was trying to explain this to me, I realized that part of her nervousness was because she didn't know how amazing I think she is. So I told her."

Tate looked bored, "So you told her she's pretty? I do some version of that with everyone on my hikes. It's fun, but I wouldn't call it exciting."

"I could tell she didn't believe me, so I opened my connection with her, and then she believed." I grinned, remembering the look on her face.

Fawn gaped as Tate angrily said, "How did you explain that to her?"

"I didn't have to explain anything. I opened enough for her to feel that I meant what I was saying, not enough for it to be overwhelming. Afterward, she felt a little confused but mostly content. She didn't ask any questions."

Tate was still frustrated with me, but Fawn was interested. "That shows an amazing control of your gift."

"Over that aspect of it anyway," I nodded. "I was careful. I wouldn't do anything to scare her off."

Tate and Fawn gave each other exasperated looks. Standing, Fawn said, "Well, that's enough excitement for me today. Goodnight, boys."

"Goodnight, Fawn."