p.s²

relationship: strangers
tags: merman!seonghwa
warning: a bit boring, seonghwa is included but not mentioned by name, hence strangers tag.
word count: 3.4k
published: 08.06.20

synopsis: y/n is the son of a cruel fisherman who has no morals for killing the creatures of the water; seonghwa is one of them.

there was a brute storm on the sea once; the sky no shade of red the night before, its chromatism a tedious gray and white.

y/n's father, captain morgan knew better than to sail the deadly sea when her tide was unpredictable, but he would risk everything to catch the rumored creature that flowed with the monstrous waves; mermaid.

one scale of their tail sold for more than anyone would bargain for a boatload of mackerel; of course, captain wanted to be rich.

captain arthur morgan was one of the most experienced fishermen on the bay; he knew his way around the sea, no matter her tide be calm and lovely or hateful and merciless.

when captain morgan had heard the stories other fishermen told in their drunken stupors at the pub, he could only laugh at such foolishness.

those men who called themselves fishermen weren't worthy of such a title if all they were good for was traveling safe waters and losing prey. no, they needed to be like him; captain morgan.

these men shouldn't be getting drunk and cheering around if they couldn't even catch a fish when the water was calm.

the sea practically gave them her blessing to sail her waters and they still failed.

"a bunch of pussies is all you are!" he growled out, slamming his empty glass of beer down, the foam of the delicacy remaining on his beard.

"what'd you say, morgan? who you talking too, hm?" one of the boasters declared.

"you blokes," morgan scoffed out, "making my beer taste unpleasant with your pansy stories."

the raw alcohol in the stomachs of the men only fueled their rash anger; "son of a bitch, what good are you?"

morgan chuckled and raised his glass, calling for a refill. "don't you know, i am the best fisherman in this pub, if not the whole bay. the fish you see in the markets, i caught those, every. single. one."

the men in the pub just stared at him, pissed by his entitlement. "oh yeah, well if you're so great—i think i'm speaking for every man in here when i say this too—go and catch one of them mermaids."

captain morgan let out a hearty laugh, downing his drink, "well, sure marty i can catch one of em, but i don't know what you mean by you speak for every man in here, hell! i'm the only one."

"that's it," the fragile man had thrown his chair back stumbled forward, his drunken stupor influencing him to perform actions that would only be regretful once he'd sobered up. he reached morgan, the other smuggly placing his empty glass down and standing up. he stood at the same height as the man, yet morgan was all the more intimidating.

marty foolishly swung, but he had some heftiness to his punch; unfortunately, it was dodged and he was met back with an uppercut. his head flung back, the dozen or so in the crowd cheering.

morgan had a smug look on his face the entire time, this guy he was going against had nothing on him. "c'mon pussy," he tantalized, waving his fists childishly.

"let's see what the big boy can do!" he egged on, his ego swelling with the crowd's cries and the clinking of their glasses on their tables.

the crowd had quieted down a bit when the fight dragged on for a few more minutes and it started to get boring with morgan being the only one to get hits in.