Chapter 1, Oh Crap

Sky

"Oh Crap! I'm late!" I exclaim, sprinting down the hallway to grab my jacket.

Putting my jacket on, I ran out the door, not even bothering to grab breakfast. It was raining, and I was very grateful that I remembered my jacket. I ran as fast as I could to where the school bus usually stops, even though I knew it wouldn't be there. 

Like always, I was late and the school bus was gone. Knowing I would be late anyway, I took my time walking to school, the rain an ever-steady presence. I thought about calling Mom but she was at work already, and Dad...well Dad wasn't here anymore.

I kept walking with my head down, lost in my thoughts. Suddenly I bumped into something, or should I say, someone. It was my best friend Leo. We have known each other since kindergarten.

"Sorry Leo," I said as I started to walk past him. "I'm late for school and I need to go." 

"Sky wait!" He yelled out to me. "Um...well," He stumbled on his words. "My Mom can give us a ride if you want, school is on the way to her work so it won't be a problem."

"Okay, sure," I say happily knowing I won't have to walk any farther in the rain.

I hopped in the car saying a friendly hello to Mrs. Amber. Yes, their last name is Amber, weird right?

 Anyways, as we rode along to school I got lost in my thoughts again. I thought about my father and all the good times we had. My Mom didn't like to talk about him, though I can see she's just trying to be tough like always. She and Dad were close, they both loved each other and they also loved me. We were a great three-person family, until one day he was just, gone. 

My thoughts were interrupted by Leo's Mom exclaiming, "Hey guys we're here, have a great day! And Leo, don't forget your homework or I'll ground you again!" 

Leo blushed so hard I thought he was going to die of embarrassment. I had to hold back my laughter from the sight. We hopped out of the car and started walking towards the school's doors. 

Since both of us were late, we had to take a detour to the school office. Old grumpy Ms. Smith was there to meet me like always. "I see you're later than ever Miss Woods. A new record." She drawled sarcastically. 

I gave her a "friendly" glare as she passed me and Leo our late passes. Due to all the times I've been late in a row, I'm going to get another detention. 

My school is so weird with stuff. They try to be all original and do traditional learning but it really sucks. They expect so much of you. One slip up, just one, ends in a detention. Let's just say this isn't going to be my first detention. Not by a long shot.

We did the walk of shame down the hall towards our classrooms. Leo and I didn't have any classes together but we did have lunch together. He always lets me steal his chips and guacamole. His Mom makes killer guacamole. My stomach grumbled at the thought of food. I really wish I hadn't skipped breakfast today.

We had reached the end of the hallway and started to part ways. Waving a goodbye to Leo, I make my way to class.

"Sky, wait!" A voice calls out. I look back thinking that it's Leo but instead find myself face-to-face with Diego. He's the new kid that just started last week. He's really nice and funny. It didn't take long for us to become best friends, even though we've only known each other for a week. 

"Oh, hey Diego!" I wave, smiling. 

A teacher gives me a dirty look for yelling. I give her a sheepish grin before walking towards Diego.

"I just wanna tell you..." He starts but stops just as fast. He clears his throat. "I just wanna tell you to have a good class and that you should sit near a window during lunch, okay?"

"Okay..." I trail off. "Well, I guess I'll see you at lunch, then."

"Yep. Remember, sit near a window. Just promise me you'll do it, okay? I'll explain later." He says.

"I will, Diego. I swear," I promise, still slightly confused but curious enough to do it. Plus, a weird gut-feeling tells me that I should listen to Diego.

He leaves with a slight nod and walks pass me to the class behind me. I wait a moment before I follow right behind him.

Later, I find out that I should never have gone to school. Because if I had stayed at home, I wouldn't have been there when it happened.