Chapter 2, School Sucks

I walk into the classroom, scanning the room for an open seat. I find one near the middle of the room. I walk as quietly as I can, trying not to become the center of attention. I'm just about to sit down and breathe out a sigh of relief when my teacher calls me out.

"Oh crap," I mumble under my breath. I glance at Diego, who looks like he's been here since class started. I swear he's a ninja. He could sneak into the class even if everyone was staring at the door he came from. Unfortunately, it's not the same for me.

"Miss Woods, would you like to tell the class why you are late?" Mr. Smith says, his voice laced with triumph. He's so happy that he caught me. No wonder him and Ms. Smith are a perfect match. They both enjoy making my life miserable. 

"Oh, I'm sorry. Last night was the day that my dad died a year ago," I murmur, trying not to cry. 

I usually wouldn't say this in front of everyone. I hate when people pity me. But I've gotten so many detentions that if I get one more this semester, I'll get suspended for a week. My mom would kill me. 

At the same time, everyone, or should I say every girl, started asking me if I was okay. Did I need someone to talk to and I'm so sorry. The last part didn't make sense because it wasn't their fault. But I didn't point that out. All the boys just patted me on the back, saying it will be alright.

Mr. Smith's wrinkled face was red with embarrassment. He ended up saying, "Oh, I'm very sorry Miss Woods. Go ahead and take a seat."

I sit down with at least twenty pairs of eyes on me. I ignore them until everyone's attention turns back to Mr. Smith. I still feel one pair of eyes, though. Probably just one of the girls still trying to say sorry for something the didn't do.

Looking behind me, I find Diego looking at me. He winks, then turns his attention to something Mr. Smith is writing on the board. I'm left feeling surprised and confused.

I think about what he said before, wondering why he was so set on me sitting near the window. With a sigh, I turn my attention to the board, too. Hours go by until its finally lunchtime. I hop out of my seat and grab my bag.

I sprint down the hallway, stopping every so often when I spot a teacher. After the coast was clear, I continued running to the cafeteria. When I opened the door, one or two tables were filled but most of the tables were open, including my usual table. 

Needing to be true to my word, though, I make my way to the empty table near the window, instead. Looking at the view, I immediately make this my new favorite table. I know, having a "favorite table" sounds dorky but you haven't seen the view. Our school is on a small mountain and from where I sit, you can see the entire city. It's kinda breathtaking.

The cafeteria door opened, letting out a sea of students. And there was Leo, with his chips and guacamole. 

"Hey Sky!" Leo yelled. One of the teachers glared at him and gave him the sign to use "inside voices". Leo gives him the same sheepish grin I give teachers. Leo walks over to me and takes a seat across from me.

"The view is beautiful," He remarks. "Yeah, it is," I agree.

We both started eating and talking about how life would be if we all move to Mars when Diego came over to our table. 

"Hey guys, mind if I sit with you? The view is nice." He asked, smiling. I gave him a confused nod. Wasn't he the one who asked me to sit here? I guess he doesn't want Leo to know about our kinda secret meeting.

Diego mouths a 'thank you' to me and takes a seat right next to me. Leo's eyebrows wiggle as he pointedly looks at how Diego chose to seat right next to me.

I was about to tell Leo to lay it off when the cafeteria door flung open again. Confused since everybody is already in the cafeteria, I turn to see who it is.