Chapter 11: Important News

Iwaizumi POV

Love is an ocean.

It's something I realised recently. Rather poetic, I know, but it's true.

Dive too deep and you'll drown, lungs filled with water, choking and spluttering for breath. It'll take over you. You'll think you're in control – that you can swim through it – but the currents will bring you down. It's toxic. It's uncontrollable.

But floating in the shallows isn't as safe as you think. Stay out there too long without diving under, and your skin will wrinkle; the waters will run cold; and you'll eventually get so uncomfortable that you'll just want to get out. You can't be happy in a relationship that isn't going anywhere.

But I've never been in love.

I've never had that someone.

I've only ever had my family and friends.

I've never had anything more.

Until . . .

The sun hit his face at just the right angle, making the brown of his eyes fleck with a bursting gold. His pale skin looked warm in the light, highlighting the powdery blush along his nose and cheeks. He wasn't flawless, far from it, actually – with light freckles dotting along the bridge of his nose. But he was still beautiful: a raw, natural beauty. He even had a slight dimple when he smiled, and he smiled a lot, as if just to show off his whitened teeth. He ran a hand through his hair, following the natural swoop of it, letting a couple strands hang over his forehead. The slight auburn colour to it was obvious when caught in the light. And his body. He seemed to have been hand carved by the gods, with a slim waist and long legs – almost feminine, even. But my attention was once again brought back to his lips–

"Iwa-chan?" He waved a hand in front of my face. "You having a stroke or something?"

I slapped Oikawa's hand away. "I'm fine, dumbass."

Dramatically putting one hand to his forehead and the other clutching his chest, he fell to the ground. "You've wounded me. I may never recover."

It was early Monday morning, our first lunch break, and were on the school rooftop again, Makki and Matsukawa throwing me suggestive looks every time I interacted with Oikawa. I would send them a polite 'fuck off' in response.

"Did you guys do the science homework?" Makki blinked, rifling through his bag.

I nodded.

"Ha, nope." Matsukawa grinned.

Oikawa gave him a look of disdain. "That's really not something to be proud of."

"You didn't do it either, so look who's talking."

"I wasn't at school. I didn't even know we had homework." Oikawa folded his arms over his chest. "I have an excuse."

"Pretty lame one if you ask me."

"Oh shut your mouth Makki-chan."

I rolled my eyes at both of them, but felt my attention drift back to a specific place.

"Why're you staring at Oikawa like that, Iwaizumi?" Matsukawa nudged me.

"Huh?" Oikawa turned, blinking at us. "What?"

"Nothing," I covered quickly, shooting Matsukawa a dry look.

I hadn't told them about my . . . suspicions. But I can't tell anyone until I'm sure. Until it's proven that Oikawa truly is my soulmate. But how? The only way to full on prove it is by kissing him! And there's no way in fuck that I can do that! How do I just casually kiss my childhood best friend on the lips?! When I might be wrong, and we might not even be soulmates?!