II. 𝐽𝐴𝑌𝑁𝐸

REVISED: 11/24

WC: 1,074

       𝐴𝑈𝑁𝑇 𝐽𝐴𝑌𝑁𝐸 𝐻𝐴𝐷  never been one for sleeping in and I had been harshly reminded of this fact when the warm quilt was stripped from my limbs. "Up, Rose."

"No..", I whined, attempting to shrink into the warmth of my sheets.

"I will grab a bucket of ice water and pour it over your head if you don't get your ass downstairs-"

"Yep- yeah, I'm up." I swung my legs over the side of the bed, pushing past a cackling Jayne. I made sure to grab a cardigan on the way out remembering how chilly it seemed to always be in Forks. It always had a forecast of rain and fog here, not that I minded. I was fond of the rain, it added to the cozy charm of the small town.

       I made my way down the creaky steps to find a steaming cup of coffee and my favorite cinnamon-banana pancakes waiting for me. Jayne shot me a cheeky grin and gave me a playful slap on the shoulder before taking a sip of her own mug. "I know it's been a while, but how did I do?" My mouth was watering as I took a bite. It was positively the best thing I had tasted in years.

"Oh, dear lord.." I ended up having to cover my mouth to avoid spillage. "You've still got it, Janie."

"Yes!", she shouted before doing a happy little dance. I watched and admired how free-spirited she was. She may be a little eccentric, but it was what I had always envied most about her.

"Calm down, woman- it's too early for all that joy.", I grumbled with a smirk.

"C'mon don't be a killjoy, Rose. It is a beautiful day.", she singsonged, continuing her little jig.

"I'll join the festivities once the caffeine kicks in."

"Deal..and then we can have the big, scary, 'Why did you show up on my doorstep like a lost hound talk'." She shot me a sarcastic grin before sitting in her own stool, an expectant look on her features. I focused my gaze on my hands as she spoke up again. "Alright..I know you might not want to tell me everythin', but I at least need the basics." I glanced back at her before refocusing my attention onto the chipped polish on my nails.

"Well..Mama sort've kicked me out and this was the only place I really knew I could come to."

"Oh, shit."

"Yeah.."

       She sat there for a minute, her mouth formed into a firm line before I realized that more information would probably be helpful. "I-I um. I didn't do anythin'. I just- I'm not ready to talk about just yet, you know? I can't say the words yet." She turned her gaze to me, setting her hand over mine giving it a comforting squeeze. "I just want things to be normal. I'll do anythin' Aunt J, I'll go to school and I can get a job to help out around here." 

"You really can't go back, can you?" I looked to her for a few seconds before shaking my head.

"No. I-I can't. Some of the things she said just can't be taken back. It wasn't my fault Jayne. I promise It wasn't my fault." My voice unwillingly cracked and I felt tears prick at my eyes. She took that as her cue to wrap me up in her arms. She knew what I meant without me having to say it and for that I was grateful.

"Never. I'll never make you go back." I buried my head in her neck as she caressed my back. I missed being cared for like this- so simply. "You can stay here. We will figure out school soon, alright?" She pulled back from the embrace and wiped the runaway tears from my skin, giving me a warm smile.

"I'd like that a lot. Thank you."

"Of course, sweet-pea. What are best friends/aunts for?"

_____

      It had been a few days and a few wonderful breakfasts later and we had managed to settle into a routine. I'd wake up and help with house chores before Jayne went off for her shift at the diner. Then I'd spend the day cleaning, reading, and drawing before she'd get home and we would binge a variety of soapy teen shows. Today was different though- I had a new life in a new school waiting for me. I was actually excited. I enjoyed the simplicity of it all.

      I had just gotten out of the shower and was towel-drying my locks, hoping to tame them before school. Sadly, I knew that just wasn't a possibility. I found myself stood in front of the full length mirror that hung on the back of the bathroom door. I hadn't really seen myself for a while. I looked like myself, but less and more all at the same time. My hair was still blonde and raging, my skin still a warm alabaster, my eyes still green and gold- if a little more dull, and freckles still danced along my cheeks.

       The differences I had been procrastinating the viewing of were there in all shapes and forms.  I was quite the canvas of abuse, be it self or not. I had a chubby stomach and was neither skinny nor the opposite. I used to really enjoy my curves and body, but now it doesn't feel as much like mine. I can only hope that one day I'll claim it back. Before then, my sweaters will share a duel purpose- keeping me warm in this chilly little place, and keeping the nosy northern kids from seeing all the little surprises I have to offer.

       Aunt J had offered to drive me to school, but I figured that a walk would be a nice way to start the day. Look at me- I'm so productive. I need to figure out how I'm going to act here. I'm shooting for absolutely, positively okay. I will not seek attention, but I will not deny it. I will lie to everyone as much as neccesary and I will get through it. Hell, maybe I'll even make a friend.

aHAha I'm so tired