V. 𝑃𝐴𝐼𝑁𝑇

REVISED: 11/25 

WC: 959 (filler)

       𝐴𝐹𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑇𝐻𝐸 𝐹𝐼𝑅𝑆𝑇 day Bella and I had already bonded more than I had expected. It was that exciting new friendship stage and neither of us asked many questions, which made it a lot less awkward than it could have been. She had offered for us to hang out after school and I accepted. We drove in her rusty orange pickup to the only cafe in Forks. We walked in and I had the privilege of meeting her father, Charlie. He was a kind man of few words and it was evident that he cared for Bella. I imagined that my father would have been like him. 

"So girls, how was the first day?", he spoke in a gruff voice.  Bella shrugged and I sensed that things were still a little tense between her and her father. It wasn't that they had a bad relationship- it was more a lack thereof entirely. The two barely knew each other.

"Good..I almost gave a boy a concussion in gym today."

"That's my girl.", He deadpanned and I almost spat out the coke I was sipping on. Bella's face was beet red. "So, Rosemary, what brings you to Forks?"

"Uh well, sir, I came to live with my aunt due to some family troubles." He nodded, not feeling the need to push the subject further. 

"Who's your aunt?"

"Oh, Jayne Sommers."

"Did someone say Jayne Sommers? As in Crazy Jayne?" A gorgeous dark-skinned woman trotted up to us and refilled Charlie's coffee.

"Yes, that is the one.", I chuckled. She wiped her hands before resting them on her hips.

"My oh my, is that little Rosemary sitting here in my cafe? Gosh girl- you have grown into a beautiful young woman." Now it was my turn to blush.

"Thank you, Cora." She flashed her pearly whites before an older gentleman came up to us.

"Hey, Bella, you remember me? I played Santa one year."

Charlie gave him a pointed look from over his steak. "Waylon, she hasn't had a Christmas here since she was four."

"I made an impression though." Cora gave him a pat on the back.

"You always do. Now let the girl eat her garden burger, Waylon." She dragged him away with a light laugh. "Now, once your done I'll bring your favorite..berry cobbler. Your dad still has it every Thursday." Bella pulled her lips into a tight smile, obviously not used to the attention she was getting.

"Thank you.", she mumbled, giving me a nudge. "So, Rosie..you wanna get outta here?"

"Uh- yeah, sure."  With that we got up from our seats and said our goodbyes to Charlie.

_____

        "So, did you actually get your license...or are you just learnin' as you go?" She rolled her eyes at me.

"Oh, shut up. I drive better than most of the people in this town."

"Oh, yes, Bella- you've got all the truckers beat."

        On the drive back to my Aunt's home she pointed out her own to me. I noted that it was only a fifteen minute walk and decided that it was a trip I would like to make frequently. Bella's company was refreshing and I realized that the girl wasn't as awkward once you had the chance to get to know her. I could tell that we were going to be good friends. I turned to her after hopping down for the rust-bucket she called a truck and accepted her offer to drive me to school the next day. 

"Goodbye Bells...safe travels and all that. Be weary of the roadkill."

"Oh my god- the next time you talk smack about my driving you will be roadkill." 

       I snickered, holding my hands up in surrender, and watched her pull out from the the gravel road. I turned and made my way into the empty home seeing that Aunt Jayne hadn't gotten back from her shift yet and I had the house to myself. I noted that it was clean- in the Jayne sense where there is clutter found on each and every surface. With nothing else to busy myself with, I began to brew some mint tea. 

       After grabbing my mug, I made my journey upstairs and tidied some of my things. I studied Jayne's paintings that littered the walls and decided that maybe I would break out the oils in an attempt to live up to her legacy. I would in no way describe myself as a master of the arts, but I enjoyed the process as a way to pass time. I found myself putting small dollops of all the primaries and began my piece, having no idea what it would end up being. I think that is one of the reasons why I loved it so much; all the small last minute decisions you can't take back.

       About an hour and two mugs of mint tea later I was satisfied. My canvas was covered in some dark foliage with blue hues, but the focal point was the marigold in the center. It was a deep contrasting mustard. It took me a minute to realize that I had just spent an hour of my life capturing the essence of the southern man's eyes. I would try to convince myself that it was a coincidence but internally I knew better. After just one day of knowing him, I had become absolutely infatuated and it was that realization that scared the absolute shit out of me.   

ok so this is honestly just a filler- but look at her and Bella. what a brotp. also my woman has a crush on Jass, love that for her.

 also my woman has a crush on Jass, love that for her