Chapter 4

There are many obstacles which the Prophet saying: "Step towards (good) deeds before seven [obstacles hinder you from doing them (deeds)]:

Do you wait but for abject poverty that makes you forget (Islamic obligations on you), extravagant richness, destructive diseases, detested senility, death, or Pseudo Messiah; (these are all) absent evils that are being waited or the Hour (which is also being waited) and it is more detested and harder (on you than all these)." [At-Tirmidhi (2408) and he said: "This hadith is a sound one"].

Abdullah Ibn 'Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them) said:

The Prophet held my shoulders and said: "Live in this world as (if you are) a wayfarer or a stranger (who will sooner or later leave the town he is staying in)."

And Ibn 'Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them) used to say:

"If you will live till night, do not wait for the next day (i.e. do not have hopes that you will live to the next day), and if you wake up in the morning do not have hope that you will live till night.

And take (advantage) from your health for (the times when you are afflicted with) diseases (and can not perform any obedience) and take advantage of your life for death (i.e. do every possible obedience in your life before death comes to you for then no deeds can be performed." [Bukhari (11/190-200) and At-Tirmidhi no. 2334].

The Prophet once, guided the believers to the way they should follow to get rid of the long hope in life and to think thoroughly of (the truth of our existence in) this world; he ordered them to remember death and visit the graves frequently, to wash the dead before putting them in their graves, to follow the funeral processions, to visit sick people and to visit the righteous people because all these matters awaken the heart and deliver it from its unawareness and lighten it (with the light of Truth and) with the things and affairs he will later face (in the Hereafter) in order to get ready for them.

You will be (dear reader) provided with some details. (A) - As for remembering death, it induces one to lead an ascetic life, and long for the Eternal World (in Paradise) and consequently it induces the person to strive in doing righteous deeds and not to incline to one's forbidden desires in this world, which is not permanent.

Abu Hurairah the Prophet said: "Make mention of the destroyer of desires (i.e. death) very often." [At-Tirmidhi no. 2049 and he said:

"This hadith has a sound chain of narrators." It is also narrated by Ibn Majah no. 4258].

Ibn Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them) said that a man from Ansai asked:

"O Messenger of Allah, who is the soundest of people and most generous (in manners)?"

The Prophet said: "The soundest of people and most generous in manners is the one who makes mention of death very often and prepares himself fully for it; Verily, these are the ones who are the soundest of people. They gained the honour in this world and the glory in the Hereafter." [Ibn Majah no. 4259 with a weak chain of narrators.

Ibn Abu Ad-Dunya also narrated it with a good chain of narrators;

AI-Iraqi also narrated it in his book "Takhij Ahadith Al-lhya" (4/451)]. Footnote 1 ANSAR:

The Companions of the Prophet from the inhabitants of Madinah, who embraced Islam and supported it and who received and entertained the Muslim emigrants from Makkah and other places.

The person then thinks thoroughly of these dead people in the graves; weren't they once those of strong bodies, and of great wealth, commanding orders and forbidding (things), and this day (in their graves) their bodies are being eaten by worms and their bones are perished.

Then this person thinks, can he escape death or death will inescapably take him and consequently prepares himself fully for the Hereafter by doing righteous deeds for they are the beneficial currency in the Hereafter.

(B) - As for visiting cemeteries and seeing graves, it is regarded as the best admonition for the hearts, when man sees these digged dark places and when; he remembers the moment when the beloved ones of the dead person pour sand over him after placing him in his tomb and closing it with some clay bricks.

Then, they disperse away from him and inherit his money and own his properties (according to the Islamic laws of inheritance), and his women will marry other men after his death and after a little while he will be forgotten although he was the one who is obeyed if he ordered for something to happen and the one who is not disobeyed when he forbids something. When a person thinks of all that while visiting the cemetery, he will realize the benefit of the Prophet's hadith:

"Visit the graves for they remind you of death." [Muslim narration no. 976