Chapter 12

Some Islamic Expressions and Short Prayers Used in Daily Life

This chapter contains some Arabic expressions that are used frequently by Muslims in day-to-day life. You will hear them used constantly by Muslims on many occasions. Some are quotations from the Holy Qur’an and used for the remembrance of Allah.

The expressions are given in Arabic first, with English transliteration, followed by meaning and appropriate occasion of use.

بِسْمِ اللّٰہِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِیْم

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem.

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.

This should be recited before beginning any task.

اَعُوْذُ بِاللّٰہِ مِنَ الشَّیْطٰنِ الرَّجِیْمِ

Aaoozobillahe minushaitanir rajeem.

I seek refuge with Allah from Satan, the accursed.

This should be said before beginning recitation of the Holy Qur’an, together with Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem. Also used to ward off bad thoughts, loss of temper or evil.

رَبِّ زِدْنِیْ عِلْمًا

Rabbe zidni ilma.

O Lord, increase my knowledge.

This short prayer may be said before reading the Holy Qur’an or before any type of study.

سُبْحَانَ اللّٰہِ

Subhaan Allah.

Glory to Allah.

To express admiration or praise for Allah.

اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰہِ

Alhamdo lillah.

All praise belongs to Allah.

Use this to show appreciation of Allah’s blessings; e.g., when you receive good news, or whenever you wish to praise Allah.

اَللّٰہُ اَکْبَرْ

Allaho akbar.

Allah is the Greatest.

This is used in azaan and salaat, and also be said any time in praise of Allah.

سُبْحَانَ اللّٰہِ ۔ اَلْحَمْدُ لِلّٰہِ ۔ اَللّٰہُ اَکْبَرْ

Subhaan Allah, Alhamdo lillah, Allaho Akbar.

Glory to Allah, all praise belongs to Allah, Allah is the Greatest.

These three expressions are repeated after finishing salaat. The first two are said 33 times and the third should be said 34 times, making 100 in all. Prayer beads or fingers may be used to keep count.