03

Disturbing Behavior

"Whether suicide or tragic accident? WPKW News has lost one of its shining stars. Field Reporter and weekend anchor Andie Star was discovered dead by the sheriff's deputies..." "Horrible, isn't it?" I look up at my mom, who stands behind the couch looking at the TV. "Yeah," I agree, continuing to stretch on my yoga mat on the floor in front of the couch while watching the news. "I think she was dating Damon, Stefan's brother." "The guy who brought you home last night?" She asks and I nod. "Poor guy," she walks to the coat rack in the hall and gets her bag, "I need you to put the coffee table back where it was when you're done, okay sweetie?" "Yeah, mom. I promise." "Okay. Well, I'm off to work. Bye," she says, walking out the door. "Bye, mom."

After stretching and putting everything back where it was, I go upstairs to my studio. Now, don't think I'm a kid who gets everything, with the two rooms and shit. I'm not a Dudley Dursley.

Our house has four bedrooms in total. One is my mom's, one is a guest room, one is my bedroom and I got my mom to agree to make the remaining room into a studio for me. It took a long time to convince her, but we couldn't leave all of my equipment in the garage, because we need that for the cars. I did have to do everything in the room by myself, but it was worth it, because now I have a place to create.

Considering it's my day off work, I decided to spend most of the day painting.

At the end of the day, I finished two paintings and put them to the side to dry.

• • •

After my day off, life continued on normal. I had my shifts at the Grill and spend the rest of my free time at home painting or reading, like the loner I am. Also, because I couldn't reach either Caroline or Elena. I talked with Bonnie on the phone a bit and apparently, her dad's side of the family is the most boring thing ever.

Today is this Founding Family's thing at the Lockwood's and everyone is bringing food. Which explains why I'm in our kitchen right now, cocking. Mom left an hour ago, trusting me to not start a fire and burn down the house. After I was done, I packed up the Jambalaya I made, having decided to make something that tastes like home, and start making my way to the Lockwood estate.

As I get to the party at the Lockwood's I put down the food on one of the tables and start looking for my friends. On my way around, I see Tyler and walk over to him.

"Hey, Tyler," he turns around facing me, at the sound of his name. "Hey, what's up?" "Do you know where Caroline is? Or Elena? I haven't been able to reach either of them for the last few days," I tell him. His face morphs into a desperate-seeming look and his eyes flicker, looking anywhere but at me. "Is everything okay, Tyler?" He looks back at me swiftly, "yeah. Yeah, everything's fine!"

Tyler stares at me awkwardly with a plastered-on smile while I'm waiting for him to answer. "So," I ask again, "have you seen Caroline?" "Oh, ah," he chuckles awkwardly, "I think I saw her over there with Elena," he answers pointing to a bench in the distance. "Thanks, Tyler. See you later." I wave at him and start walking to the bench he pointed to. That was strange.

As I get nearer to where they're sitting, I can not only see Caroline and Elena, but also Bonnie. When did she get back? And why didn't she tell me?

I get closer and catch some of their conversation. "—that doesn't make him any less Damon! If my own father, who I love dearly, can't change me, ... no one's changing Damon! Not even you," Caroline says in an argumentative tone.

"Why are we even talking about this?" Elena asks as I walk up the last bit of the small hill and stand beside Bonnie, who has a very old-looking book in her lap with Elena's necklace lying in between the open pages.