Chapter 23: All A Dream

Haruka Nanase

Yesterday's med sensor drama is the topic of conversation all around the breakfast hall the next morning.

We're all sitting on the table and I think we're all a little awkward about it. Rin only heard about what happened this morning. Strangely that wasn't because of a random comment, but because Nagisa told it to Rin himself.

Even though Nagisa seems lightly proud of what happened, Rei just wants to disappear, especially every time someone I don't know walks by us and makes a comment about what happened. Most comments are insults about them being a couple, while others are about it being a total mood.

While I eat my breakfast in silence I watch as Nagisa glances at Rei and says, "Shall we show them what you found out?" with a short wink.

Rei rolls his eyes at Nagisa, but his grin tells all of us that he's pretty proud of whatever Nagisa's talking about. He clears his throat and lays his trembling hand onto the table, showing off his med sensor. "I found a way to turn it off," he tells us. "Just temporarily, but it's possible."

"Come on, Rei," Nagisa says. "Show them how!"

Nagisa smiles, but Rei looks even more proud about his invention. He tries to point at this black, barely noticeable, button on the side of the med sensor. He shakes so much, that's why Nagisa points at it more specifically.

"I found out that if you hold this button for a couple of seconds," Rei begins to explain, and we all watch carefully as he talks. "the med sensor will temporarily shut itself down. You'll come back on the radar after about twenty to thirty minutes, or you hold the button another few seconds to turn it on again."

My mouth almost opens from surprisement, but I keep it shut since it's stupid of the makers to put that button on a place where the patients can find it.

"Isn't it dangerous to turn it off?" Makoto asks. He seems to have the same worries as me, but Nagisa and Rei just shrug as if they aren't here because their heart can stop any moment of the day.

"As long as we don't do it when there's no one near us," Rei suggests. "I mean, it won't harm if there's someone close to get help, right?"

Makoto glances around the table, so he just shrugs and says, "Yeah, I guess."

Rei quickly lays his hand back on his lap and Nagisa finishes his breakfast before the bells ring, telling us that it's time to head to our classes.

The rest of the day goes by as usual; Makoto, Rin and I go to our two classes before rest period and lunch where we're together with Nagisa and Rei and after that we go to our last two classes before we end off the day with dinner.

As soon as dinner is over I go to my room and throw the hat I've been wearing every day from now onto my desk. It's way too warm when I wear it, but it's better than having a cold head. I also put on my pajamas, because I'm not planning to get out of bed anymore for the rest of the day.

After that I sit down on the edge of my bed while I set up the Dialysis for my night routine. It took nurse Aki quite a while to teach me how to set it up properly, but now I've got the hang of it and I don't have to worry about staying awake until nurse Aki has come by to check on me.

By the time I'm laying the right position under the warm bedding, I'm exhausted. I'm actually that tired that it's still two hours before actual lights out by the time I'm too tired to keep my eyes open any longer.

I'm running, panting.

My legs are moving so fast and I keep tripping over my own feet.

"No!" I yell, my voice is loud and it echoes through the forest.

I can clearly hear the loud noise, it's a med sensor, I just cannot find out where it's coming from. I know whose it is, that's the worst.

Why did he go into the woods? Why on his own? He was bound to forget where he is, so why didn't he ask any of us to go get the book he left with us.

The book, I think, I have to find the book!

I start running in the direction of where we normally sit, but all there is, is the book in the same place he left it. But the noise is closer, the screaming and deafening sound.

I run, faster.

My head feels light, but I'm not going to pass out, I see him.

I run closer, kneel down, my knees scraping over the leafs and sticks.

His body is pale and cold, his mouth is covered in mud and blood and saliva.

He's gone.

I scream, tears running over my cheeks as my eyes shoot open.

The blankets are all lying on the floor, but I'm still covered in sweat. My mouth and nose feel warm and a little wet, and when I take my hand past it it's covered in thick, dark blood.

I get upright, tell myself that is was just a dream as I grab a handkerchief to get the bleeding to stop. I stare at the wall while I notice that one thing hasn't stopped when my nightmare ended; the loud beeping of a med sensor is still sounding, making noise that passes through all the walls.

I first listen where it's coming from and when I find out where the sound is coming from I fold my hand in front of my mouth and gasp.

It's coming from one of the doors nearby me.

Makoto!

________________________

Tum-tuumm-TUUUMMM!

________________________

Next Chapter:
Did Haruka really hear Makoto's med sensor? 

...

And if yes, what happened?