5

The chaos of Natasha's knighting ceremony seemed to bring the whole court to its knees. I'm getting literally ushered to my room by Paramour Silva. The white haired knight 'places' me firmly into my room against my will. I can't get past him. He's strong and fast. It's not hard to know why he's renown as one of the best knights in the Empire.

"What are you doing?" I'm pleading with him, "I need to go check on Maxim. I need to make sure he's OK."

It has been less than an hour since Pike's dead body appeared in court causing havoc in the party. I'd think Paramour Silva would have something more important to do than taking me to my room against my will like this.

"That boy's trouble. I can't have my future squire be influenced by that sort of riff-raff."

Silva was serious especially calling me his 'future squire'. I have no idea where he got that idea from. I'd never given him the slightest idea that I'd be anything close to that for him.

I'm irritated, "Paramour. There's something weird going on..."

"Weird like what?"

I try to put the pieces together in my head. Pike going after the Elven book. Pike being murdered before he could return with it. Then there was the murder attempt turned rescue by Maxim. All of these things just didn't add up.

"I'm not sure," is the only thing that I can manage to say but my mouth gets dry as I plead to the Paramour one last time, "Maybe a wild dragon attached Pike."

"Wild dragons are dormant. They hide in caves and nests deep below the Earth. They definitely don't attack dragon riders."

"Then it was a tamed dragon!"

He looks at me in the most patronizing way ever. The paramour has a smug face. Sure, he's handsome. Sure he's dashing and sure he's strong as hell, but he seems so oblivious in that moment. It's irritating me highly when he's acting as though the words that were coming out of my mouth were nothing more than colorful noise.

"I know what's happening---" the Paramour states.

"You do?"

Maybe I was wrong about him. Maybe he isn't as oblivious as I thought.

"Pike's dragon went into a jealous rage. It happens often. Pike was known to visit the local brothels. We all knew it was only a matter of time before his dragon completely lost it and burned him and herself to ashes."

My forehead twisted up. Did he say this was self Inflicted?

WHAT!

Something serious was happening and the Paramour was blaming it on a fucking jealous rage. I look at the guy wondering what the hell is wrong with him but he gives me a smile and then pats me on my head. He pats me on my head like a dog. He pats me like I'm some sort of stray animal that needs rescuing.

"Paramour Pike----you aren't listening..."

He proves his point by ignoring me, "I am Nik. I am. You are clearly a bit wound up. Take the night. I'll come to visit you in the morning and we can talk about you becoming my squire. Also Nik? Don't bother leaving the room. I'll have two guards stationed outside the whole night. For your safety of course."

He leaves me in the room. There's nothing more horrible than being ignored. There's nothing more horrible than knowing in your soul something is off in the world and no one listening to the words that are coming out of your mouth. I punch the wall hard twice. The only thing that stops me from hitting it a third time is a hand grabbing me before I can do it again. I turn to the right and I see the Black Dread. My dragon soul is there with me. He looks at me with the same deep dark intense eyes as he stops me from hitting my knuckles.