11

"We should have stopped her."

We'd left the Elven woods. We're heading back towards the Capital. We're right on the outskirts...our dragons hidden away in the nearby mountains so that none of the scouts would know we are here. I think it's pointless to hide the dragons. They are looking for me, sure, but the scouts wouldn't be looking here. No one thinks we're dumb enough to come back to the Capital of all places. This was the last place we should be but Maxim likes to remind me that we needed help and the Capital was the only place we had help.

It was also the only place that we had enemies.

"We should rest here. I'll sneak into town to have Raisa and Natasha rendezvous with us. I'll update them on our progress. We'll make a plan from there."

"You aren't listening to me."

"What did you say?"

"We should have stopped her," I state, "She was right there. The most dangerous woman in the world and we let her go. We should have stopped her."

"How do you presume we would have stopped her?"

"How do you think?"

Maxim gives me a weird look.

"She's your mother."

"She has an army of dragons."

"She's still your mother. Your pregnant mother."

All I can see is red at this point. I was tired of being betrayed. I was tired of being backstabbed. This woman had left me and I felt emptiness inside.

"She's dangerous."

"Show me."

"What?"

He pulls out his dagger and lays it on the ground next to me, "Show me how you would have stopped Nikoletta."

I don't know what he's trying to prove at this point but I'm so mad that I take the bait. I grab the dagger and head towards him. Red is all in my eyes. I'm quick attempting to swipe at him and cut his arm but he quickly moves back. He has on heavy armor and all but he still happens to be fast. I try again. This time he catches my arm. In a single move Maxim sweeps me off my feet and I'm laying face down on the ground.

He's proved his point.

"Nikoletta was one of the fastest and strongest knights in the Empire. If she is half the woman she was before she awoke...you wouldn't have stood a chance. We didn't spare her. She spared us."

I hate to think he was right. Maybe it was all still painful. We had walked away from the meeting in the woods knowing that our mothers were working together. We walked away without a scar but still I felt wounded. That's the only way you could describe it. She might as well have taken a knife and drove it through my heart.

"Now what?"

"Now I go meet with Raisa and Natasha."

"I'm coming."

"Don't be stupid. You're staying here. The Capital is swarming with people looking for you. They think you're the Bringer of Flames. Maybe if Raisa spoke with the Emperor."

I was being hunted. He knew and I knew that the Emperor wouldn't listen to Raisa. He wouldn't listen to anyone. This time if they caught me, they weren't going to let me go. There was no way in hell that was going to happen.

It's pointless to argue with him though.

I shrug, "Fine."

I had to give in. This time I had to leave it to chance.