𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐜𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞

chapter 18, first version of cocaine

Once the three teens reached Tannyhill Reese realized she should probably find Rafe, and resume her Kook normalcy. So she bid her goodbyes to Sarah and John B and got in her car driving to the place Rafe and the Death Squad always spent their mid-afternoon time, the gym.

As the girl approached the group of boys she overheard a part of their conversation. The room radiated of testosterone and sweat.

Reese watched carefully as Rafe pulled the weight up towards his body curling it under him. She couldn't help but drool for a minute, of course, the boy was attractive, it was Rafe Cameron for god's sake.

"Well, we know who did it, right?" Rafe said slightly struggling with the weight still in his hands.

"It was that little geek Pope," Kelce said interjecting his words. Kelce was what Reese liked to call the quiet Kook, he was always terrified of Topper and Rafe so he never really threw his opinion out there, although the kid was probably the smartest out of all of them.

"Pope, yeah." Topper said getting angry. "Rafe, if you wouldn't have jumped him on the golf course, I'd still have a boat, right?" Topper said accusatorily looking towards Rafe. Reese's heart sunk as she stressed worrying about Pope and JJ, but also specifically worrying if she would get caught being at the scene as well.

"Sorry if I, uh... had your back after some Pogue put a... put a gun to your head," Rafe said defending his brutal actions. Reese's body shivered as she recalled the boy's hostility towards her newfound friend and questioned what she was even doing there in the first place. She shook off the doubtful thought and continued to eavesdrop. "Listen, man, I am not the enemy here. Am I the enemy here?" he asked rhetorically. "I'm not the enemy. No. I didn't sink the boat. Pope did. Okay. All right. And you need to force him to take some personal responsibility, bro. Bro, he sank the boat, all right? That shit can't stand. So what are you gonna do about it?" Rafe explained using all of his might, and Kook knowledge.

"Hi boys," Reese said laughing and walking up to Kelce placing a kiss on his cheek.

"RC," Rafe said quietly wiping the sweat off his brows, trying to compose himself.

"Rafe," Reese said slightly aggravated remembering the sight of Pope. "Did you miss me?" Reese said walking over towards Topper.

"Of course." Top said laughing at the girl. "Hey, have you talked to Sarah?" Topper asked quietly turning towards the girl.

"Yeah, just give her some time Topper she just needs to figure herself out," Reese said attempting to defend her best friend while also remembering she was out with John B somewhere right now. Rafe walked over to where the girl stood up grabbing her hand and pulling her along with him.

"Reese," Rafe said her hand still in his. "Where have you been?" he asked his soft eyes finding hers.

"Just around the island, okay? Please just, can we just hang out? Have fun, no interrogation," Reese asked she truly wasn't lying to the boy's face. Yes, she may have been angry at what he'd done but these were her true best friends, they're who everyone wanted her to be with so if she wanted to try and maintain normalcy then she'd need to stick around these people.

"Yeah," Rafe said shyly. "Are you going to Midsummers?" he asked the girl running a hand through his hair.

"Of course I'm going to Midsummers," Reese said laughing.

"Do you uh- want to maybe go with me?" Rafe asked nervously. Reese knew that the boy was going to ask her eventually, this was the year that most couples would have what they liked to call as their 'coming out', and even if they weren't together it was their turn.