Chapter 6 - Ben

"Fuck off!"

The voice was familiar and came from the room at the end of the hallway. It was high pitched and panicked, and I could've sworn it was Lucy's.

I looked down over the rail downstairs and spotted Madison. She was where I'd left them, but Erik was sitting next to her where Lucy had been.

I turned back to the room and slowly walked towards it, putting my beer down. There were no more sounds coming from it, but that just raised my concern. I put my hand on the doorknob and slowly opened the door.

My blood ran cold. Lucy was pushing Ben away from her while he had her pinned against the wall, trying to pull her shirt down. His hand was clasped over her mouth and I saw frightened tears running down her cheeks as she fought against him.

Lost for words, I ran towards them. His head snapped, and he stood to his full height, turning to me.

"Get the fuck away from her," I spat and grabbed the front of his shirt, pulling him away with all my might. I shoved him towards the doorway. I was sobering up, quickly.

Ben was much bigger than me so I was surprised when he stumbled to the ground outside the room.

I continued towards him, my anger was only building as my mind processed what he'd been doing. He slowly got to his feet and glared at me, swaying. I shoved him again and he stumbled backwards, nearing the stairs.

Had he not been drunk, he definitely would've knocked me unconscious by now. I'd seen him beat the shit out of multiple guys a few years back over nothing. The chatter below us quieted as people started to notice the commotion.

I felt Lucy grabbing my arm, lightly pulling me back, but instead I took a step forward and got in his face.

"Don't ever go near one of my friends again."

I saw anger flash in his eyes and he gave me a hard shove back, pushing me into Lucy who stumbled a bit.

"Get out of my face you fucking fag."

With that he swung at me, but in his drunkenness, he stumbled to the side and his fist landed on Lucy instead. She cried out and fell to the ground, clutching her face. I heard gasps down below.

Anger consumed me like fire and I used all my strength to shove Ben away from us. His hands flew out behind him to catch his fall, but he was met with stairs as he lost balance. I heard a few screams as everyone watched him tumble down the staircase, but I turned to Lucy instead.

She was sitting up with a hand on her face, watching with wide eyes as Ben fell to the bottom.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, crouching down in front of her. There was a large red welt on her left cheekbone and I lightly moved her hand away so I could see it. "You're gonna need ice, come on I'll help you down."

She didn't say anything and just nodded, putting her arm around me.

I helped her stand up and wrapped my arm around her waist as we walked down the stairs. Ben was on the ground groaning and clutching his arm.

"I'm gonna fucking kill you Evan-" He yelled out as we passed him, causing Erik to run over and start yelling at him.

Madison and Alex rushed towards us, Madison immediately putting her arm around Lucy and asking her a million questions.

I heard Erik swearing at Ben's moaning figure on the ground. People started chattering again, loudly talking about what had just happened. I let Lucy go and went to the kitchen, finding a plastic bag and filling it with ice from Erik's freezer.