Prologue

The Great Fairy Fountain

He had been here thousands of times. Somehow, this time felt drearier than before. He was preparing for his final battle against Ganon, one that would take all his strength, his courage, and his hope to win. He was scared, if he was being honest. He was prepared, as prepared as his time would allow, and yet, he still felt afraid. He was scared to fail yet again. He lost to Ganon all those years ago; and who was to say he wouldn't once again?

Breathe in, breathe out.

He had slowly opened his eyes, looking up at the fairy that loomed above him. She was gorgeous, as the other fairies were. She was a giant creature, her body sparkling just as the water she had resided in. She smiled at Link, an amused look painted along her face. She tried to keep a gentle, warming look; but within the lines of her smile you could see a frown residing. She was scared as well, she knew what Link had in store. She knew he was frightened. It wasn't fair, all this stress for such a young man. It wasn't at all.

She held her palms out. A small little fairy floated up between her large, yet dainty, sparkling hands. Within every line of her palm she might as well have been hiding jewels, she was stunning. A sight that anyone would be lucky to see. The fairy glimmered, the small wings fluttering at the sides. Link had looked at the creature for a moment before turning to his bag, looking for a jar. The sound of glass clinking had filled the forest as he had begun his search. He finally pulled one out, opening the cork.

"I already have a large stock of your fairies, Miss." he had said, hesitantly scooping the fairy into the jar. He had closed the cork onto it, securing it before gently placing it into his bag once again. The large, great fairy had seemed amused. She let out a small laugh before leaning down towards the hero. "I know what you have, Link. But, this fairy is like no other." She had begun, slowly moving upwards once more. She took her arms, holding them to the sky before closing her bright, sparkling eyes.

"This fairy can take you back to this moment. It can reset time itself, giving you one more chance." She said. She seemed to be adding quite a lot of extravagance to her presentation, if you had asked Link. His face seemed less than amused as he had closed the small latch of his bag, his hand falling onto the strap once again. He slowly looked back up to the great fairy, shaking his head gently. "And, why would I need this?" He asked, his head slowly cocking to the side.

The fairy smiled. "A foolish question, nevertheless, from a foolish boy." She let out a loud, heaving laugh. Link's eyes fell to the ground, his head slowly lowering. Did she not believe in him too? He felt as if that was the case, as she had given him this special fairy.

"The fairy may not come to use for you. It may be of use to someone else. Or for something else." She had said. She smiled, this time much more gentle than before. Her hand had went under Link's chin, guiding his head up to look at the great fairy. She was giving him a genuine look of care, of comfort. She meant well. He could see that within a heartbeat.

"Use the fairy when you see best fit. There is no correct moment, and there is no incorrect one as well. What you feel in the moment is the right thing to do." She said, her face suddenly dropping to a look that was different and more solemn than link had ever seen on her. She let go of the male's chin, slowly beginning to recede back into her flowery domain. She closed her eyes, her painted lids suddenly looking more grim and hurt.

"My hero, do not forget who you are." She said. Those words were the last he would hear from the great fairy. The last words he would hear from anyone until he met with Ganon. Link watched the great fairy recede, his brows furrowing and his grip tightening onto the strap of the bag. He wouldn't forget who he was. He was destined to fight Ganon. That was who he was. Or, at least he felt that was all he was worth. He was the hero. It was his job to stay on task and finish the deed.

He shook his head; ignoring the final words from the fairy. He didn't need riddles from a fairy on top of his looming stress. This had been enough. He turned on his heels before walking down the small colorful mushrooms that had formed stairs for him. He walked out of the forest, the world seeming more grey than ever before.