Past

Kit's pov:

I'm here in the cake shop trying to figure out what kind of cake to buy. It's been two hours and I've been going from one cake shop to the other but i can't find one which would be good enough for that guy.

If only he would have told me that tomorrow was his birthday. I found out when i saw his ID card on his desk when i went over to his place. 

What kind of boyfriend am i? I didn't even know his birthday!

I wanted to order it today and give it to him tomorrow after class but Beam said i should give it at midnight. Something about surprising him and it being more romantic or something.

Making one myself wan't an option. I would just burn down the kitchen. 

And i couldn't order one with such short notice. I mean there's only 7 hours until midnight!

I was wrecking my brain trying to come up with something when someone came up behind me.

"Excuse me." 

I turned around and saw an elderly woman who looked like she was in her fifties. 

"Is your name by any chance Kit?" She asked me.

"Yes it is. Do i know you?" I was confused. I don't remember seeing her before.

"No i don't think you know me. This is the first time we've met. I'm Mia." She smiled.

"Umm...Can i ask how you know me?" I was getting more and more confused. 

"I heard a lot about you from Ming. I used to work as a maid at his parents' house. He comes to visit me sometimes during weekends. He talks about you all the time and showed me a lot of pictures even." 

"Owh. " My faced turned red from embarrassment. I scratched my head and smiled awkwardly.

"I saw you frowning while looking at the cakes. What kind of cake are you looking for?" She asked.

"I'm actually looking for a birthday cake for him. I found out a couple of hours ago that tomorrow is his birthday so i want to surprise him." I said.

Her expression dimmed. 

"Umm...ma'am?" I got worried.

Did i say something wrong?

"Did you ask him what he wants for his birthday?" She looked at me sadly.

"I did but he said he didn't want anything." I sighed.

"He really didn't tell you huh?" She mumbled softly while looking at the cakes.

I frowned and tilted my head.

"Can we talk somewhere else?" She asked me.

I was confused but agreed. I could tell she knew something i didn't.

We went to a nearby park and sat on a bench.

"Ming...That boy...he might look like he has the perfect life and perfect family but the reality is the complete opposite." She started.

I blinked. 

"His parents never showed any affection towards him. They always ignored him. They always focused on his younger brother. He was all alone in his own home." She stopped and cleared her throat. Her eyes were brimmed with tears. 

"At first he would run around tugging at their clothes trying to get their attention but no matter what he did his parents never looked at him. They would always brush him off. He would cry his heart out calling for them but his cries fell into deaf ears. Every night when i tucked him into bed he would ask me one question. "Why don't my parents want me?". And every night i would tell him that they are just busy, that they love him wholeheartedly. But i knew that was a lie." She turned to me.

I couldn't believe what i was hearing. That cheerful brat had this kind of past. That guy who smiles and laughs all the time, the one who cheers other up.

"At first it was enough to make him sleep peacefully but as time went on and he grew, he started to realise that it wasn't true. But by that time he had already learned not to cry for their attention. Because he knew he wouldn't get it no matter what. He stayed up till late night studying and would score the top in his class. But even then they didn't even spare him a glance." Tear were streaming down her face.

"Wh-why are you telling me this?" I asked shakily. 

" Because i want you to grant his lifelong birthday wish." She looked at me hopefully.