Death threats, bullet wounds and cramp.

My knee jerks up and down as I see the teacher walk down the line of desks, handing back the test papers, but my attention is drawn to my left when Stiles leans forward and taps Scott on his shoulder.

"If Derek isn't the Alpha, if he's not the one who bit you, then who did?" Stiles asks. Wait, Derek's not an alpha?

"Since when wasn't Derek an Alpha?" I voice my thoughts.

"Wait, you know what an Alpha is?" Scott turns to me.

"Yeah, it's the leader of the pack, the one with the ability to turn humans with a bite."

Stiles and Scott share an exasperated look with one another, before Scott turns to me,

"You didn't think to mention that?"

"Well, I thought Derek was the one who turned you. Besides, everyone knows the role of an alpha in a wolf pack."

"Not everyone, Charlie. Just you," Stiles pauses and re-iterates, "And, back to my question: who bit you Scott?"

"I don't know," Scott grumbles.

"Did the Alpha kill the bus driver?"

"I don't know," Scott says moodily, obviously growing frustrated with Stiles' onslaught of questions.

"Does Allison's dad know about the-"

"I don't know!" He finally snaps. My attention is drawn to the test paper that lands on my desk -- A-, looks like I won't be failing history this year. I look over and Stiles has got an A and Scott... has an angry red D-. Ouch.

"Dude, you need to study more. That was a joke. Scott, it's one test. You're gonna make it up. Do you want help studying?" Stiles offers.

"No. I'm studying with Allison after school today."

"Attaboy." I offer my hand up for a high-five -- we all know what 'studying' means.

"We're just studying." My high-five is promptly ignored, and I must admit, my feelings are hurt.

"Uh, no, you're not. Just studying isn't just studying."

"It's not?" He looks bewildered.

"Scott, I lost my virginity 'just studying'." I add for clarification, because if he wastes this glorious opportunity, then he's a bigger moron than I thought he was.

"Exactly, and if I'm forced to live vicariously through you; if you go to her house today and squander that colossal opportunity, I swear to God I'll have you de-balled," Stiles adds.

"Okay. Just, stop with the questions, guys."

"Done. No more questions. No more talk about the Alpha or Derek. Especially Derek -- who still scares me."

***

After history I'm making my way to Shane when I see Stiles' jeep squeal to a halt in the middle of the parking lot with a leather-clad Gru-look-a-like standing in front of it -- Derek.

As I'm running toward the jeep Derek collapses on the ground, and car horns start sounding behind us at the hold-up.

"What are you doing here?" Scott asks, squatting down beside Derek, who, now that I think about it isn't looking too hot -- his skin has a sickly, sweaty pallor to it.

"I was shot," the man groans.

"He's not looking so good, dude," Stiles says.

"Why aren't you healing?" It's as Scott asks this that I realise why he looks so sick -- he's dying.