Un

Holding my head in my hands, I closed my eyes. Why couldn't I just sleep? Tomorrow would be fine, the meeting with Deucalion and his pack was for peace. The other hunters wanted it too, there was no point in any one else dying.

Still, it was worrying me that things could go wrong. Even if my views didn't exactly align with my father's, I didn't want him to get hurt. Even if it was just for Chris and Kate's sake.

Lying back down, I pulled the covers over me and hoped sleep would take me.

My eyes stung a little as I climbed out of bed. The light was shining through the beige curtains. Groaning, I started to get dressed.

"Where did you say the meeting was happening?" I asked between mouthfuls of food. It was dry but I liked it better than with milk. It made all the cereal soggy and tasteless. Even if I wasn't lactose intolerant, I still wouldn't want milk touching the cereal.

"A distillery," he said.
"Am I coming in your car or should I drive myself?" Looking over at him, his solemn expression said all. "I'm not going?"
"No, you're staying here. Chris isn't coming either."
"Why not?" I put the spoon in the now empty bowl and stared at my dad. "If something goes wrong, I can hit them from a distance."

He had never let me get close to any werewolves if he could help it, even though I could fight if I needed to.
"No, you won't be needed, Liz. I've already agreed to bring Adam Lewis," he said. Dad was taking Adam with him, my best friend's father. He was, admittedly, a good man to have in case things went wrong so I could see why Dad was taking him. And he had a lot more experience.
"I'll stay here then," I said, partly glad that I wouldn't have to go.

After taking my empty bowl and spoon to the sink, I headed back upstairs to my room. Looking at the room, I remembered how desperately I had wanted to move out before the back and forth killings between the hunters and Deucalion's pack.

Sitting on the edge of the bed, I pulled out my phone. It was too early for Kara to be awake so I had to find something else to do. Spotting a magazine on the bedside table, I reached over to get it. Vogue. It had Angelina Jolie on the front and you weren't sure how long I'd had it. Seeing as there wasn't much else to do for an hour until Kara woke up, I flicked through the magazine while lying on my bed. It was dryer than my cereal and I didn't understand how they dragged out all the articles. I suppose the writers did it the same way I did when I wrote them.

"Liz, Chris, I'm going to meet Deucalion and his pack," Dad shouted from downstairs. Humming, I closed the magazine and put it back on the bedside table. I grabbed my coat before heading
"Chris, I'm going to Kara's, I'll be back in a bit," I said as I headed down the stairs. I didn't hear his reply but assumed he had heard me as I headed out to my car. Dad's car was already gone.

Pulling up outside of Kara's house, I checked the time. She would have probably eaten breakfast by now. After locking the car, I headed to the front door of the house and knocked. A few moments later, the door opened and I was greeted by the sigh of Kara.
"Hey," I said as I walked in. She shut the door behind her and I took my shoes off by the door and put them on the shoe rack. "How are you doing?"
"I'm good," she said. "Little worried for Dad, I guess."
"Same," I admitted with a sigh. "I just hope they manage to make peace."

Kara just nodded as she made her way to the living room. We both sat on the sofa. It always went like this when our fathers were doing hunting business together.
"Are we going to listen to music and bake again?" she asked and immediately, I nodded.
"We can do that, sure," I said as I watched her stand up.

We headed to the kitchen and Kara turned on the radio.
"This channel? Really?" I asked as I washed my hands.
"Yes, they play good music even if the guy has the most irritating voice in existence," she said with a shrug.
"Fine," I muttered. "What are we making today, Miss Kara?" I smiled and she hummed.
"We made cookies last time, what about cupcakes?"
"Oo, cupcakes are my favourite," I said. I could be bribed very easily with cupcakes so it was good that werewolves didn't just show up with cupcakes, I wouldn't be able to say no to it.

Kara smiled as she started gathering the ingredients.

In reality, I ended up doing most of the baking since Kara wasn't used to her new oven yet. But that wasn't the point, the point was we had both been distracted enough not to sit around and worry over family. Before leaving, I arranged the cupcakes based on the icing flavour. Chocolate at 12 o'clock, strawberry at 3, vanilla at 6 and lemon at 9.

After everything, I ended up driving back with cupcakes on the passenger seat. Holding the cupcakes in my hand, I carefully closed the car door with my hip and awkwardly fumbled for the keys to lock it.

Heading inside, there was a tension in my stomach. Heading into the dining room, I set the cupcakes down and picked one out for Chris, he wasn't overly fond of sweet things like cakes but he appreciated when I saved one for him.
"Chris, you in?" I called out as I decided on giving him the one with chocolate icing and sprinkles on top. "Chris?"

Walking back through to the kitchen, I noticed Chris and Dad talking.
"Is everything alright?" I asked. From the looks of their faces as they both turned to me, I guessed not. Chris left and I handed him the cupcake as he walked past me. He muttered a thanks and I sat down next to Dad. He had a scratch on his face with dried blood around it. "What happened?"
"It was an ambush, they tricked us. I think I'm the only survivor, Liz," he said solemnly.
"Even-"
"Even Adam Lewis, I called his wife earlier to tell him, we're going to go back later," he said. My heart ached as I thought of Kara. We had such a fun time earlier but now..."
"Did you manage to kill any of them?"
"A few," he said, nodding his head. "I blinded Deucalion but he unfortunately got away."

"I think... I think I should go upstairs," I said and shakily stood up. It had been a trap to kill the hunters. "Are you alright?"
"I'll be fine, I didn't let those werewolf bastards get me." I smiled at him before heading upstairs.

Staring up at the ceiling, there was no answer for the second time as I called Kara. She was probably with her mom and I could understand why she wasn't answering. With a sigh, I stood and headed to the bathroom. Some cold water in my face would help a lot.

As I dried my face off, I heard a voice through the wall.
"I blinded the bastard. 'I wanted peace' he claimed." It was your Dad. "Peace? There will never be peace as long as those monsters walk the Earth. I did the right thing, even if it meant losing some of my men." Curious, I set the down down and headed to the bedroom.
"Dad?"

He stood by the window, looking out across the street. Had he been talking to himself?
"Liz, what are you doing? Don't you understand privacy?" he yelled. There was the horrible feeling
"They didn't ambush you, did they?"
"What I did was for the best, Liz," he said with a fire in his eyes that was mildly terrifying.
"What about the hunters?"
"Their losses will not be in vain, Liz," he said. "We'll avenge them." Liz stared at him for a moment. She didn't believe him but she nodded.
"Yeah, even if we have to kill all of them," she lied. He put a hand on her shoulder and smiled.
"I knew you would understand."

"I'm going to try calling Kara again, she didn't pick up earlier." I stepped back and headed back to my room.
"You know you can't tell anyone about this, right?" Dad asked. I stopped in the doorway and nodded before carrying on to my room.

My fingers dug into the sheets and I felt tears on my cheeks.

Dad had done something to the other hunters and Kara's father was dead because of it. He'd said Deucalion asked for peace and in return he had blinded the man.

Something felt wrong.

And not knowing what exactly was wrong was irritating.

Yet again, I stared up at the ceiling, unable to sleep. This time it wasn't worry that kept me awake, it was something else. Confusion. Dad didn't let me go with him, had he planned it? He must have known that if I was there, he couldn't carry out the plan he had.

And that meant he had blinded a werewolf. And from the sounds of it, it was permanent and Deucalion was still alive.

How could he do that and believe it was the right thing? He might have started something worse than what had already been happening.

Closing my eyes, there was the deep ache of betrayal in my chest.

He wasn't following the code any more. Not like Chris and I did.