Soixante-Quatre

The car slowed and stopped at the red light and I turned to look at Deuc for a moment.
“What do you think about using the cane then?”
“It’s useful,” Deuc said. I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel as I stared at the light and hoped it would change quicker.
“Are you saying that because you think so or because you have a cane that’s basically a weapon back at home?” I asked.

The lights changed and I put my foot down on the accelerator. Deuc stayed quiet.
“You know, Kara was all nice about it until she got in the car and started complaining. But, she could see then and she should be able to soon, I think.” Kara had said she was getting an operation to fix it, I could only hope it went well.

“I think it’s maybe both,” he said after a while.
I laughed. “I can’t blame you. But I am glad you found it useful.” Kara’s dad had made her a pretty decent weapon, the point at the end was sharp. “Do I have to drive you there and back next week?”
“If you don’t mind.”
“I don’t,” I said with a smile. “I don’t mind at all.”
“Thank you, my love.” My smiled widened and I tried to focus on the road in front of me.

The car pulled onto the driveway and I turned the engine off.
“I don’t know if you noticed,” Deuc started as he got out of the car. I got out and shut the door behind me. “But I think that was the first time I’ve heard you call this place home.” He shut the car door and I locked the car. I looked at the old house and realised that I had considered it home for a while.
“Yeah,” I said as I walked around the car. “I guess it feels like home now."

I held his hand and kissed his cheek and Deuc smiled.
“It can be your home for as long as you want,” he said.
“Thank you,” I said. “But I’ll only call it home as long as you’re here with me.” Deuc chuckled as he wrapped his arms around me.
“I’m not going anywhere any time soon, but I think we should go inside.” I laughed and nodded, it was starting to get a little windy and cold.

The weekend seemed to arrive so quickly and I almost forgot that Deuc had asked the pack to yet again gather in his living room. Deuc was in his armchair, as always and I sat on the arm of it. Jack and Tasha were back to sitting together, or, more accurately, Tasha was sitting on Jack’s lap. Charles was sitting next to them and Tamika on the armchair next to Charles. If I didn’t know Charles was gay, I would have thought he and Tamika were a couple with how close they were. Jake was standing in the doorway to the kitchen with his arms crossed. He didn’t look happy to be here.

“Let me guess, Timothy is looking after his nan again?” asked Deuc.
Charles nodded. “Yes, he is.”
“Convenient,” muttered Jake. “An Argent joins the pack and he can get away with not being here cause of his nan.”
“She’s not an Argent,” said Tamika, narrowing her eyes at Jake. “Besides, his nan’s not very well and none of his aunts and uncles want to help out.” It sounded like Timothy needed a break if he was the only one looking after his nan. I wished I knew them well enough to help but I hadn’t even met him yet.

“So what did Liza find out from stalking the guy then?” asked Tasha.
“Well, he lives in my apartment block.”
“I thought you lived here,” said Jack with a furrowed brow.
“Well I’m moving in here, I have an apartment across town and he lives at number 14 there, upstairs,” I explained. I would probably need a bit of help moving some stuff. “He also knows I followed him.”

“I thought you would have been good at it,” said Tasha with a frown.
“I did say I wasn’t a good hunter,” I said defensively. I didn’t even want to follow the potential murderer anyway.
“Clearly.”
“Anyway,” Deuc interjected. “We need to talk to him, I’d prefer it if most of you could be there with me.”

“I can’t do it next weekend,” said Tasha. “Promised a friend I’d drive her to San Francisco and I’m stopping the night there.”
“I have to work overtime next Saturday,” Charles said quietly. For once, I think everyone could hear him though.
“I’m free pretty much every weekend for the rest of the month,” said Jack. “What about the weekend after? Me and Tasha are free then.”

“That could work,” said Deuc. “The Saturday or the Sunday?”
“Sunday, I’m working next two Saturdays in a row,” said Jake.
“I’m not working on that Sunday, I don’t think,” said Charles and Tamika nodded in agreement.
“So we’ll go there and confront them on Sunday, which I believe is the 27th,” said Deucalion. He clasped his hands together and tilted his head slightly. “We may need to watch him more, especially if he knows where Liza’s apartment is.”

“Do you need any help moving?” asked Jack.
“Um, it would be appreciated,” I said awkwardly with a smile.
“I’ll help,” Jack said with a shrug. “It’ll let us keep an eye on him too. Last thing we want is him trying to break into your apartment.” Tasha didn’t seem to like the offer of help but seemed as though she didn’t care enough to protest in front of everyone.
“Thank you,” I said with a smile.

“I think that’s everything,” said Deuc as he stood up. “Meet here on Sunday, we need to plan things, we’re not storming in there without a plan.”
“Got it,” said Jake as he hurried to the front door. Tasha stood and grabbed Jack’s hand and started pulling him towards the door.
“I’ll call or something to help with the moving,” said Jack.
“Yeah, okay, thank you,” I said. It was nice of him to offer help. I waved to Charles and Tamika as they left.

It was strange seeing the living room so empty after having so many people gathered there.
“So… do you think this is going to go well?” I asked as I moved and sat in his lap.
“I have to hope so.”