𝐬𝐥𝐨𝐰 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠.

nancy wheeler rushed out of the hawkins middle school gymnasium, heading over to the lobby where there was a telephone attached to the wall. it was the night of the snowball, just before winter break, and nancy had noticed a problem - dustin henderson and y/n y/l/n had no one to dance with.

it was simple enough to fix dustin's problem - nancy would easily step in and dance with him herself.
y/n's wouldn't be as easy to fix, however. mike was with el, lucas was dancing with max, and a girl had asked will to dance as well. jonathan was busy taking pictures. nancy could tell that the younger girl was very sad and disappointed about not having anyone to dance with.

grabbing the phone off of the wall, the wheeler girl quickly dialed steve harrington's home phone number. she practically prayed that he was home. steve had dropped off dustin earlier, but didn't choose to stay and chaperone.

"hello?"

"steve, thank goodness!" nancy exclaimed, grateful that the boy had picked up quickly.

"nance? is everything alright?" on the other end of the line, steve harrington sat up in his chair. he was planning on relaxing until he had to pick dustin up at the end of the snowball, but nancy's call had ignited a flame of worry inside of him.

"yeah, everything's fine. i, uh... how fast do you think you could make it down here?"

"uhh, five minutes. why?" he replied, heading over to put on his shoes. steve could tell something was up, but he wasn't exactly sure what.

"nobody wants to dance with y/n. she's really upset about it," nancy explains, catching steve's attention again.

"i'll be there right away," he explains, hanging up the phone and rushing to his car.

as he drove along the deserted roads of hawkins, steve couldn't help but be saddened by the fact that no one wanted to dance with you. over the past month, you had become like a little sister to him. he had protected you and the rest of your friends against demodogs, and was there for you in the aftermath of it. steve could imagine you, sitting all alone on the bleachers, while all of your friends were enjoying themselves on the dance floor, and needless to say, it broke his heart a little bit.

soon enough, the brunette found himself in the lobby of hawkins middle school. after saying a brief hello to mr. clarke, he made his way into the gym. steve's eyes met jonathan's, who simply pointed in your direction.

steve nodded as a thank you, scanning the bleachers for you. when he spotted you, all his fears had been confirmed. there you were, all alone on the bleachers, your head in your hands. without a second thought, the older boy made his way over to you, not wanting you to wait any longer.

"hey."

a familiar voice caught your attention. you quickly looked up to be met by the face of steve harrington, who was looking at you in concern. you weren't sure when he got here, but that didn't matter now. wiping your tears, you replied, "hey."

he smiled softly at you, offering his hand for you to take, "may i have this dance, m'lady?"

you nodded slowly, hesitantly reaching out to take steve's hand. once you did, he pulled you onto the dance floor, placing his hand onto your waist as you placed yours onto his shoulder. your free hands intertwined with each other's.

the two of you slowly began to sway to the tune of "every breath you take." you noticed a few boys from your grade stare at you and steve in confusion, but you didn't mind. little did you know, steve had noticed it too.

"listen," he began, grabbing your attention, "don't worry about them, boys this age are stupid. believe me, i would know." steve encouraged, making you laugh a little bit.

he smiled, noticing your laugh, "just don't let them get to your head, okay? in a few years, you'll knock them dead. every high school boy in hawkins will fall down at your feet, and they'll be begging you to pick them."

you smiled, peering into the older boy's brown eyes, "you really mean that?"

he nodded, "of course i do. you'll drive them nuts,
y/n. if they ever give you a problem, though, just send them over to me. i'll take care of it."

you laughed, readjusting your grip on his shoulder. the two of you continued to sway to the music, and soon enough, all of your sadness had gone away. steve noticed this, and it made him happy to see you happier. suddenly, the brunette boy removed his hand from your waist and twirled you around, earning a small shriek from you. the two of you laughed together, before steve pulled you into a tight hug.

jonathan walked through the crowded dance floor, snapping random photographs to remember this night. a few were of will, from somewhat of a distance. mrs. byers would appreciate them. some featured mike and el, others max and lucas.

after snapping a few pictures of nancy and dustin, the older byers boy scanned the floor, his eyes ultimately landing on you and steve.

steve had you wrapped up in his arms, the maroon of his sweater complimenting the red of your dress. you had a bright smile on your face as the two of you went back to dancing. without any hesitation, jonathan made his way over to the two of you, "smile."

you and steve looked over to jonathan, who had just shown up next to you. you and the older harrington boy obeyed, smiling for a picture.

steve harrington had somehow made this night unforgettable for you, and you were grateful for that. a month ago you would've never even thought to call him your friend, but a lot can change. in the past month, steve had become an older brother figure to you.

he could be an idiot, but in the end, he'd always be there for you, and that was all that mattered.

a/n; okay so i thought this was going to be cuter, and i hate the ending, but it'll do.

i'm tagging imogen and perrie so this doesn't flop!

smilesmorales-

starryeyedturtle