Chapter 15

Monday AM

As soon as she stepped foot on the grounds she knew this was a bad idea.

There were hundreds of students milling about the building, none of them paying any mind to Cheryl as she shifted through them, trying to find some sign or direction to where the girl was. So far all she had found was the teacher's parking lot and the washroom, where a couple were busy lost in each other's mouths and oblivious to Cheryl's embarrassment.

She hoped to find a familiar face, but with all the students in their same tattered clothing, they all pretty much looked the same. Cheryl became so overwhelmed with claustrophobia and a sense of drowning that she would have fallen had not a hand been clapped onto her shoulder at that time.

"Cheryl?" a friendly voice asked, and turning, saw a boy with warm eyes and familiar strong build.

"Kevin," Cheryl sighed with relief, and he smiled and began steering her out of the flood of students.

"Looking for Toni, I'm guessing?"

Cheryl just nodded, allowing herself to be directed into the building and down a long hallway.

"I don't know if she's with Fangs, but if not, he'll probably know where she is."

Cheryl nodded again, resigning herself to the fact that it was too late to turn back now.

He led her through the school, around classes and between throttles of people that Cheryl quickly became lost in the old building. Her first time in a high school. It seemed a lot bigger then she'd ever imagine a small town like Riverdale to have. But it's where anyone below middle class attended, which was more than a chunk of the population. She wouldn't have been able to get back home by herself if she suddenly chickened out now.

Kevin seemed to notice her unease, patting her easily on the shoulder and gripping her sleeve to direct her through the stream of people.

They finally left the school build room, walking down the past the school football field that Cheryl found some reminiscence in, and past numerous kids with cigarettes hanging loosely from their lips; eyes watching her with disdain. She pulled her jacket tighter around herself, and held her breath in passing.

"This place is huge," Cheryl sighed heavily after the heavy cloud of cigarette smoke passed.

Kevin nodded empathetically. "Yeah, I imagine it is when you've never been in a place like this before. Luckily, Southside has tons of good hiding spots."Her winked at her, laughing wholeheartedly at the blush blooming on her cheeks.

They turned one final corner, finally meeting a group of students hovering in small groups near a door that was covered in spray paint. Fangs spotted them immediately, probably looking out for Kevin's arrival, Sweetpea noticing too; landing a big whack on the back when Cheryl came close enough.

Cheryl coughed, "There goes a lung."

Sweetpea grinned. "Oh well, it's not like it was doing good by you anyway."

Cheryl spotted Jughead running up behind Sweetpea, planting his hands on the taller boys' shoulders and jumping behind him. "Hey, Cheryl!"

"Hello."

"You here to see Toni?"

Jughead has a large smile plastered on his face, seeming like a completely different person around the small group he was with. He wielded his camera, snapping a few shots of Cheryl from behind Sweetpea's shoulder.

Cheryl nodded, laughing at his antics, looking around thru the crowd of leather Serpent jackets to find her before Fangs drew her back.

"She's still in class," he said, handing her a bottle of orange juice "Got this for you. I know the smoke was probably a lot," he pursed his lips, Cheryl gratefully taking the bottle and swallowing a mouthful.