Chapter 16

Saturday AM

(8:34) -Sweetpea-
Beep beep, motherfucker!

(8:34) -Jughead-
Get your ass out here!

(8:35) -Cheryl-
Hey! Give me a bit!

(8:35) -Cheryl-
Stop honking!

(8:36) -Toni-
It's Sweetpea. He had chocolate for breakfast, so now he's on a sugar high.

(8:37) -Cheryl-
Damn it, Pea, you've been told!

(8:38) -Juggy-
I scolded him for you. Those two aggressive beeps were his response.

(8:38) -Cheryl-
I'll be two seconds, just calm down.

(8:39) -Toni-
Come on, Cheryl! Beep beep! Let's go be Adults!

(8:39) -Cheryl-
Don't use the A word.

(8:40) -Juggy-
Then get a move on. How much stuff do you have?

(8:40) -Cheryl-
Gotta pack my emotional baggage. Now stop texting.

*

Cheryl looked around her empty room with a heavy sigh.

She didn't feel anxious, not how she expected to be. She already had a feeling of homesickness, even if all of her belongings were right in front of her in bags and boxes, and her mother and father stood at the door watching her. Cheryl imagined that they felt worse, their only, and chronically ill, child leaving the house at just age eighteen.

Sometimes Cheryl wondered what kind of madness possessed her to do such a thing, but other times she heard Toni talk on and on about what they would do in their shared house, and Cheryl felt excited again.
That madness was Toni. Toni constantly driving her to do unpredictable things she never even thought about before, nor knew existed.

"It's alright if you change your mind," Penelope spoke up softly. "You know Toni and everyone will understand." Cheryl's mom stepped further into the room, smoothing a bit of Cheryl's hair down "Just because it's my Alma Mater doesn't mean you have to attend Highsmith College"

Cheryl nodded silently, still looking around her old – was it old yet? – bedroom.
All that remained as a reminder of her life were the canopy bed and large pieces of mahogany that wouldn't fit in a suitcase.

A buzzing came from her pocket.

(8:45) -Toni-
Get in loser, we're going University-ing.

She smiled, about to type a reply when another message came through.

(8:45) -Sweetpea-
Have your parents held you captive? It's okay, we've already dealt with FP. We're experts at this now.

Cheryl took a deep breath, then collected the bags in front of her, and asked her parents if they could take the boxes.

She wasn't going to back out of it now.

*

Toni was sure sick as hell of the Beatles.

"Don't you have any other artists on your phone?" She groaned at Sweetpea, who was looking more than annoyed in the driver's seat.

"I've got Rolling Stones," he said. "I've also got 'Toni Can Fuck Off With That Face of Hers'."

"And what face is that?" Toni asked innocently, still scrolling through the taller boy's phone in a desperate attempt to magically conjure up some decent music.

"The face that says everyone around you are idiots and have no taste," Cheryl piped up from where she slid into the backseat, bordered by bags and boxes of belongings.