Chapter 1

Slowly, desperately slowly it seemed to us as we watched, the remains of passage debris were removed, until at last we had the whole door clear before us. The decisive moment had arrived. With trembling hands I made a tiny breach in the upper left hand corner.Darkness and blank space, as far as an iron testing-rod could reach, showed that whatever lay beyond was empty, and not filled like the passage we had just cleared then, widening the hole a little, I inserted the candle and peered in, Yeonjun, Irene and Soyeon standing anxiously beside me to hear the verdict. At first I could see nothing but presently, as my eyes grew accustomed to the light, details of the room within emerged slowly from the mist, strange statues, and red —everywhere the sight of red. For the moment — an eternity it must have seemed to the others standing by — I was struck dumb with horror, and when Irene, unable to stand the suspense any longer, inquired anxiously, 'Can you see anything?' it was all I could do to get out the words, 'Yes, terrible things.'

Pushing the hole further, I started to squeeze my way into the chamber. The scent of rotten bodies took over my nose. I stared in disgust, as the others followed behind me, sliding into the chamber loudly. My eyes travel around the room, my hand reaching to feel the statues and weapons placed around. And there in the middle, he laid. Jisung's body sat in a puddle of dried blood, his hands on his stomach, over the wound. A bloody knife was left next to him, but no sign of his killer. Hesitatingly, I picked up the knife and passed it to Soyeon. 'Take it to the lab, we need to get to the bottom of this."